HELP with 6 tap Brass Tower

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpartyParty

Reaction score
I purchased a 6 tap brass tower on CL for $25. It needed (and still needs) a real good cleaning but I think the faucets will all work but I need to replace two of the brass elbows inside. Problem is I can't figure out how to get the collar nuts off and the shanks out. It seems that the brass shank is welded on to a cap or plate inside it won't pull out of the housing. When I unscrew the nut it gets to a point where it just spins. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks

P1220178.jpg

P1220181.jpg

P1220182.jpg

There is a snap ring which holds the the faucet nut and bushing on the shank. It's been a while but I think you'll need to tighten things back up, and push the nut and bushing back towards the tower to get at the snap ring. From the looks of your setup, it'll be tight, but this should allow you to remove the nut, bushing, and threaded nut, then pull the shank out the back. Good luck

So should the nut be tightened or loosened? If the nut is tight then it won't move when i push on it. Thanks!

There are some snap rings that hold the shanks in I have a a similar tower it was 12 but cut down to 8 here are a few pics of my kegerator build

https://picasaweb.google.com/andrew.morgan66/TapTower

That tower looks exactly like my own! When I tighten up the nut and try and push the collar it's resting on the but so I'm not getting any movement. Am I doing something wrong? How did your shanks out? Thanks

That tower looks exactly like my own! When I tighten up the nut and try and push the collar it's resting on the but so I'm not getting any movement. Am I doing something wrong? How did your shanks out? Thanks

There is a snap ring that is on the shank. you can find it on the inside of the collar they were a ***** to get off. you nee a small pick of some kind to pry the ring up and over the inside of the shank I have some laying around maybe i can post a picture of one. Once you get the ring off the collar will slide off then you can loosen the brass nut to move the the rest of the shank

This is a picture of a spare shank. See the bottom groove there is a metal ring that holds things in place. That is what you need to take off to dissemble the tower

image-753682067.jpg

This is a picture of a spare shank. See the bottom groove there is a metal ring that holds things in place. That is what you need to take off to dissemble the tower

View attachment 36613

I notice there are 4 holes on the collar. Is that to get at the snap ring or should I be going at it from the front between the collar and the grooved piece that holds the faucet in place?

I use some picks to get at the ring IIRC I used the holes to better get at the rings I would pry the ring to the point where I could get a second pick under it and pry up and then rand the pick around this would get the ring up to the second grove and the process would start again. It was a major PITA to get 12 of these things off.

OK! I know it's been a while but I spent time on this pig last night and got the sanp rings out. As you can see from the first picture I need to replace two of the brass shnk elbows. Anyone know where to find these older style shanks? Thanks

I have a few extra from my tower. I cut mine used to be a 12 tap and I made it into an 8 tap. PM if you are interested and we can work something out.

This the shank I took out. You might have to zoom in to get a good look at it. Thanks

023.jpg

I have 4 extra of those. You may need to cut them down to size a copper pipe cutting wheel will do the job.

Brewtime- Those are perfect. They are a bit a long but cutting them down should be a snap. I'll PM you. Thanks

p.s. PurpleJeepxj- I don't think it would work to fix the current one. It's twisted right at the base and close completly. Not sure it would ever be opened up to proper diameter. Thanks though!

Back