Help! Where to store bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yadilos

Reaction score
Hi gang, I'm 6 extract kit batches in and have a Q. Regardless of yeast type I have been pitching in the low sixties and ferment in the basement at 62-67 as read on the temp strip (67 at peak) for around two weeks, slowly bring in up to around 67-68 for another week or so. Check the FG, bottle at around 70, and let them sit in the closet. Beers have been great...but now the bottles are sitting at about 78-82 in the closet. This is a stout and a pale ale. The stout was bottled 3+ weeks ago and is yummy but I would like to age it a bit. The pale ale was bottled 2+ weeks ago and is also great but maybe just a bit green. Is it better to leave the in the heat or store them in the basement with an ambient of 67-68? Is it ok to move them to a cooler place???

I assume they're already carbonated decently well so I would move them to 68. They'll last longer and possibly retain more flavor at lower temp and will continue to carbonate slowly if there's any fermentable sugars left. I would only keep them at the 78 temp if I needed to carbonate as quickly as possible.

Back