Help w/ first nitro

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnrulyGentleman

Reaction score
I’m having trouble with my first Nitro beer, but can’t pinpoint what exactly the issue is. Right now it is pouring from my stout faucet with no problems, has that great cascading effect in the glass and producing a frothy head, but the head very quickly dissipates. Within minutes there is literally no head at all. It did take me a long time to carbonate the stout with CO2 only, as I was trying to achieve the typical low carbonation level associated with the style so I had was force carbing at 5psi for several days only to have it be super flat so I bumped it up to 15psi for a few days before switching it over to beer gas mix. Could my current problem of poor head retention be the result of having it under carbed still? Do I have a leak in a line or gasket? Just trying to figure out how to get the characteristically awesome head that I was expecting by serving a nitro. Any ideas are welcome.

WHat temp was it at when you were trying to carb it up?

I usually carb mine at 5-8 lbs at about 40-45 degrees. It does take a few weeks to get fully carbed at that pressure. I then hook it up to the beergas and it perfect.

Back