help understanding these water figures , please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iasquith

Reaction score
Hi,
I am using bottled water, 4 gallon kegs to brew pale ales and stouts as my tap water as a taste of clorine and i dont really trust it but i was wondering what kind of additions eg epsom salts adjunts i need to bring it more in line with the water in england (burton ) I tried but cant understand" how to brew", anyway the figures are as follows of my bottled water :
all in mg\l
calcium15,4 sodium14,27 magnesium 4,59 potassium 4,12 bicarbinates 99,82 nitrates 4,12 cloretas 3,23 sulphates 1,80 flourates 0,17
ph6,49
ok thanks in advance

To be honest, my philosophy is never to correct water unless you are trying to clone a beer. Some of the greatest, most unique beers break the rules on water. Don't allow yourself to get dragged down by the technicalities of the water. That all being said, if you have Chlorine it will boil off. Chloramines on the other hand won't and have to be treated I think that's how you rid it anyway. It looks like you have fairly soft water there (I think most bottled water is more soft), and I think it puts you best suited to very light colored beers...at least I am pretty sure.

http://www.howtobrew.com/images/f83.pdf

If you print that out and draw the lines through your ppm it will set you in the right direction.

Back