Help to build a recipe from leftovers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metalhead_brewer

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
i have some malts and hops leftovers from 2017 and i want to make a beer for my wife's birthday in 4 more weeks just with what i have in stock because there's no time to order more ingredients (i buy everything online) i'm thinking in a beer that will be ready in about 4 weeks so no time for browns, porters or stouts for example, as i have too much hops maybe a IPA would be great but i don't have much experience with hops so i can't visualize a good recipe,i'll put my stock list here and hope all of you help me to build something delicious and refreshing!!! :rock:

I forgot to mention that none of the malts and hops are more than 5 months old, and they're all keep in a dry and fresh place, i have just one package of S-04 yeast.

Malts:
pilsner_________1,340gr
viena__________800gr
carapils________226gr
caramel 20_____600gr
carafa III______960gr
special roast___850gr
caramel 120___540gr
pale 2r_______830gr
wheat________600gr
chocolate_____600gr
aromatic______220gr
roasted_______90gr
flaked oats____500gr

Hops:
centennial whole___1.3oz
simcoe___________2oz
centennial________2.6oz
columbus_________2.7oz
chinook___________2oz
crystal____________2oz
magnum__________1oz
styrian____________1oz
hallertau___________.5oz
northern brewer_____.5oz
calypso____________2oz
cascade___________3oz
amarillo____________2oz

yeast:
Safale S-04_________1pkg

that's all, any help will be really apreciated it!!:ban:

So i came up with this,all of your pilsner,vienna,pale 2r,wheat,aromatic,flaked oats.
You'll need a 90min boil,then 10g of magnum at 60,then one oz each of Simcoe,Casade and Amarillo wirlpooled for 15 min after flameout.I'd dry hop with these three hops as well.
Its more of an pale ale than an IPA.
It would be around 5% 40IBU

I'm unsure what volume you brew to, but assuming 5-6 gallons (19-23L) then it looks like you'll need to combine your base malts (Pils, Vienna, Wheat, and pale) for starters. I know you said no to a brown, but you could easily do one of those with the crystal and chocolate specialty malts added in. They don't need to age a long time.

Something like:

79% Base malt (Pils, Vienna, Wheat, 2 Row combined). Then add:
0.4 kg Crystal (C20 + C120 blend)
0.35 kg Flaked oats
0.18 kg Chocolate.

At 21L batch size, this would be around 4.9% abv and a tasty brown. Hops, you can go easy or crazy to your liking.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies, I forgot to mention that i do 5 gallon batches and my efficiency is around 80%.

Latest posts

Back