Help the kids, build a brew stand.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skagdog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
In this case DIY= Design it yourself

One of my hockey mate's kids is a senior at a local trade school. He's been welding for several years and puts out some really nice work.

Let me state my issue. The school is short of supplies funding but they have the facilities and abilities. I am short the facilities and abilities but have some funds for steel. Is this a perfect match or would there be some sort of ethical problem here?:confused:

Again, this kid has skills and needs a project, I have a project and need skills. It seems win-win, what do you think?

The dad and the son are well aware of my intentions to use this product to make beer. I would probably have to draw it up as a dual turkey frier or something like that to get the instructor to sign on.

As long as they aren't making beer on it, I don't see a problem here. It's not like they're building you a mash tun. They won't know any of the process that goes into making beer if they're just building a stand...

Go for it!

what would the instructor care? He's not making it for himself. I would think the instructor would rather see the fab skills of the kid, and grade him on that. As long as he knows it's going to you, since you had to supply the steel, I would think it's no big deal.

I could possibly see how some might have an ethical issue with this, and I suppose you might have some conflict, considering you're posting it.

However, I don't see why you wouldn't want to just be completely honest about what you and the student are doing. Ie, his project should be a brew stand and not a turkey frier.

Maybe it is just me, but my senior project was handgun target shooting - something that involved me using a handgun (which my dad owned), even though here in WA you cannot own a handgun if you're under 21. While it was not *MY* gun, I was using it for my senior project. I think this would be similar - he would be working on *YOUR* brew stand, not using it.

Brew stands make wort, not alcohol. No big deal. I wouldn't worry about it.

Well somebody does all the welding on commercial breweries' equipment, and I doubt it's usually the brewmaster or cellar person. I really don't think there would be a problem, even if you state the product's final application.

Yeah, after reading some of these posts I kinda feel silly for posing the question. I'm off to get some steel. I'll post my sketch here momentarily. I drew it up using a special high-tech graphite/cellulose interface (pencil and paper).

I think it sounds like a great opportunity for you and the student. After all, welding practice is welding practice, right? Why would it matter if the end product is used for beer?

Yeesh. You make it sound like you're asking the kid to make you a metal table for your meth lab or something.

If the kid is 18 yrs old, he is legally able to sell and vend alcohol... he just can't consume it yet! (stoooopid law) I don't see any problem with this. It would be a great fabrication project for the kid.
Call it a dual turkey fryer on the prints and be done with it! Good find on the talent to fab your brew rack!

I don't see any problem with it. You have money, steel and a need. They have a fab shop and skilled people. In a time when many school technical programs are closing down due to lack of funds/interest I think more people should use these programs to get stuff done.

With hind sight how many of us wish we would have picked up some of these skills when we had the opportunity but didn't.

It's not like brewing is some clandestine act.

15-year-old students can take auto shop, despite being to young to legally drive the car they work on.

if his fab teacher is what I imagine most fab teachers are like..... I don't think there will be a problem.

Yeah, after reading some of these posts I kinda feel silly for posing the question.

You should never feel silly for posing a question about involving other people's kids and alcohol production. Even though I agree your case is benign, still better to err on the side of making for darn sure you won't get sued.

No matter how crazy it may sound to you there are others that will make a big deal of it. I would talk with the instructor first and make sure that he knows what the build is and is for and if he or she would have a problem with it. If you get past that then you can call it something that doesn't draw attention. I just wouldn't want to be responsible for someone loosing a job or having problems with an employer.

Is it just me or does this new society of political correctness seem to cause more problems than it fixes?

I think when I was in trade school...25 yrs ago (sheesh) we would have been stoked to get such a project..we would have been the cool kids in school for it...........but NOW..........yeah it wouldnt hurt to ask first....probably have to send out a memo to all the parents in the school and have the permission slips filled out unanimously.......

Bring in a case of beer and I bet they will let you use some scrap metal they have laying around as well.

Tell the school it's for a fish fry and teach the kid how to lie in the process!

Actually, I have plenty of halibut in the freezer so I could use it for a fish fry for the class. Good call on the fish fry.
Right now, I use my turkey fryer as part of my brew set up, as a fish fryer, and a turkey fryer so I have no qualms about presenting it as an outdoor propane powered food and beverage preparation stand.

Dropped off my drafts and paid for the steel today. Since I have a Subaru and the delivery is going to the school, the steel company is delivering it for free.

That's one nice school. The craftsman is gonna take pictures as he is able so I'll post them on here when I get them.

60 ft (3ea 20ft lengths) of 1.5x1.5x0.188 and a 4x8 sheet of 16 gauge cost $245 bucks in Fairbanks, AK.

Who should care what it's used for? In school, they should be learning how to read a drawing & fabricate something to the designer's specs while doing it in a safe, accurate and craftsman-like manner. Spec it out as a small scale wort-processing apparatus for experimental purposes!

My in-laws both work at a voc tech and are very friendly with the shop teachers. They already made two compost tumblers from plans I provided. I plan to have them make an exhaust hood when I'm at that stage of the build. The auto shop also fixed some damage to my Mom's car, and the culinary department makes weekly batches of bread for us. They really appreciate new and different projects. I say support these programs whenever you can.

The craftsman hasn't had tons of time to weld this week, he was busy helping his team win the First National Greatland Conference Cup (Alaska's High School Hockey state championship)...I should have a photo or two of the progress this week...

Awesome, I can't think of a better reason to back-burner some welding!! CONGRATS!!!!!

Latest posts

Back