HELP! Stuck fermentation?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unusmundus

Reaction score
Hi all, 7 days ago (almost to the hour) I was happily pitching a yeast starter of WLP400 in to my wit wort (my second ever all-grain). The OG was about 1.048, hoping for an FG of around 1.010. I had an aggressive fermentation within hours, with krausen dropping within 48-72 hours. Day 5 things seemed stable so I decided to take a gravity reading to see how things were simmering. 1.024, I was okay with this. I know WLP400 ferments quickly but I didn't think anything of it. It's now 48 hours later, day 7 (again, to the hour). I just took a grav. sample... 1.024... Is my fermentation officially 'stuck'? This has never happened to me before. I read about stirring up the yeast cake at the bottom, but wouldn't that be futile as WPL-400 is supposed to stay in suspension? Temp is at a comfortable 70, and the samples i've taken taste pretty good... Good enough to drink if cold and carbonated... Am I just going to have to keg this one at 3.5%ABV and deal with it? Is there ANYTHING I can do? Help!

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Shameless self bump... :(

so...I would say bumping your thread because you didn't get answer within the first 24 minutes wouldn't really qualify as a "shameless" self bump. I'd put that more in the "shameful" category--give people a chance to read and answer before you bump your thread.

now, as to your question...without more details, there's no way for anybody to know if your gravity should drop more, or if you're where we would expect you to finish.

so...grain bill, mash temp/time, etc?

so...I would say bumping your thread because you didn't get answer within the first 24 minutes wouldn't really qualify as a "shameless" self bump. I'd put that more in the "shameful" category--give people a chance to read and answer before you bump your thread.

now, as to your question...without more details, there's no way for anybody to know if your gravity should drop more, or if you're where we would expect you to finish.

so...grain bill, mash temp/time, etc?

I was 'bumping' to get it back onto the 'Newest Threads' list to your right. I'm not too sure what you find particularly 'shameful' about that, but the 'shameless' thing was a joke... Regardless, I'll attach a photo of the recipe. Mashed at 150 for 60 minutes, 90 minute boil.

Screen Shot 2014-11-26 at 4.10.41 AM.png

Stirred up the yeast cake, was more than I expected. Wrapped a heating pad 'round her as well... Seems some of the yeast is already starting to settle back, but there is plenty in suspension. Getting airlock bubbles about once every 19 seconds... Hoping for the best.

I used WLP-400 initially, but thinking of picking up a packet of WB-06 tomorrow, and seeing what happens...

I had a chocolate stout that stopped at 1.022. I added more yeast, stirred it up gently and warmed it up and it remained at 1.022. Even though that recipe had a pound of lactose in it, I still thought it would get lower than 1.022, but I did use Danstar Windsor Ale yeast, which reportedly leaves a higher gravity than most yeasts. Sometimes, I guess, we just have to live with 'very sessionable' beers at less than 4% ABV. At the end of the day, I know I'd rather have a yummy beer at 3.5% ABV than something that tastes off at 4.5%. Best of luck.

I had a chocolate stout that stopped at 1.022. I added more yeast, stirred it up gently and warmed it up and it remained at 1.022. Even though that recipe had a pound of lactose in it, I still thought it would get lower than 1.022, but I did use Danstar Windsor Ale yeast, which reportedly leaves a higher gravity than most yeasts. Sometimes, I guess, we just have to live with 'very sessionable' beers at less than 4% ABV. At the end of the day, I know I'd rather have a yummy beer at 3.5% ABV than something that tastes off at 4.5%. Best of luck.

Damn... I've heard of it going both ways... Some people never get their desired gravity, and others add more yeast and get a roaring re-fermentation... Fingers crossed anyhow.

Doing a vanilla porter today - no lactose so here's hoping I get a FG of 1.015 or less out of this one.

I used WLP-400 initially, but thinking of picking up a packet of WB-06 tomorrow, and seeing what happens...

Before I'd pitch anything new, look at the comments on whitelabs wlp400-belgian-wit-ale-yeast

They seem to indicate reasonably frequent agitation, 80% attenuation, but extreme fermentation patience. I have no experience with the yeast, but have learned that the vendor forums/pages tend to be REALLY accurate, because they want you to succeed.

In my (not at all extensive) experience, the yeast work on their own (damnable?) timeline, not mine!

Stir them up and wait a bit :ban: Let us know what happens!:tank:

Am I just going to have to keg this one at 3.5%ABV and deal with it? Is there ANYTHING I can do? Help! :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:[/QUOTE said:
WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One other thing before you stress too terribly, pitch new yeast and infect a brew! How are you measuring origianl and final gravity? If using an ATC refractometer, consider the before alcohol/after alcohol adjustments to refractometer measurements.

1.048 =~12.0P (eyes blurry)
1.024 =~ 6.2P (again, eyes blurry)

My friend, brewtarget converts this thusly:

1.048 OG/12.0P,

Refractive Index: 1.342
OG: 1.048
SG: 1.010
Real Extract Plato: 4.317
ABV: 5.318
ABW: 4.017

Is this closer to what you expected? :tank:

WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One other thing before you stress too terribly, pitch new yeast and infect a brew! How are you measuring origianl and final gravity? If using an ATC refractometer, consider the before alcohol/after alcohol adjustments to refractometer measurements.

1.048 =~12.0P (eyes blurry)
1.024 =~ 6.2P (again, eyes blurry)

My friend, brewtarget converts this thusly:

1.048 OG/12.0P,

Refractive Index: 1.342
OG: 1.048
SG: 1.010
Real Extract Plato: 4.317
ABV: 5.318
ABW: 4.017

Is this closer to what you expected? :tank:

I'm afraid I'm just using a standard hydrometer... The bottom figures do look right thought. I scored some Wyeast 3463 Forbidden Fruit... Will be pitching in a few hours, should be interesting....

Latest posts

Back