Help! Seeking Brewpubs & Good Food in Boston

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunder_Chicken

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am at a conference in Boston, all the way down Summer St. on the south side of the Ft. Point Channel at the Westin, and I am trying to find some good local eats and brewpubs.

I used to live up in Cambridge, and I made the rounds there today (S&S for dinner and Lord Hobo for Bellegems Oud Bruin and Vanber & DeWulf lambic on tap.

However, if you're familiar with Boston, the obvious places are the chain places that cater to the tourists. I'll probably be making evening trips to Cambridge for late dinner and drinks, but any tips for decent places for a quick pint and lunch, and for breakfast, would be awesome.

Thanks all! :mug:

It's kinda hard to separate the "classics" from the tourons. They can read ;)

We're due for some fine weather this week, and if you can get 'round tuit you have to do lunch at the Legal Seafoods on the pier - or if they're all mobbed up, one of the competitors' places next door. Outdoor eating on the waterfront is hard to beat.

Also right in your vicinity, and a bit off-beat, I have a soft spot for the Barking Crab. When we're cruising the harbor we tie our boat up at their dock and do lunch there. We've always left quite happy ;)

Otherwise, I'm a big fan of the North End. If you dig Italian you can hit virtually any restaurant there and be in for great eats.

Cheers! And hope you have a good stay!

Great memory jogs! Thanks.

I just tripped across the Barking Crab walking into downtown. I knew about them but had completely forgotten. That might be digs for tomorrow. That's exactly my speed.

I stopped by Jacob Wirth's on Kneeland Street - man that place has gone to hell. It used to be a good German restaurant, but now it looks and feels like a BBQ wings joint. They had some dude walking around yelling in a microphone, nominally entertaining but really annoying the people who want to talk and eat. I stood at the waitstaff table waiting to be seated - every person on the staff must have walked by me twice and never even nodded at me. I finally said eff this and left. I was sorely disappointed. I used to love that place, but I don't think I'll be heading back there again.

I recall that there are some insane pizza places in the North End not on Hanover St. (Ernies/Ernesto's...something like that). Half a friggin pizza for like 5 bucks, and good too. And now I remember Bova's Bakery is always good for quick eat and dessert. Might be able to grab a cab and get a decent lunch somewhere in there.

I found a Dunk's within walking distance for tomorrow AM. You can't swing a dead cat and avoid hitting a Dunkin' Donuts any place else in the state, but if you are in a convention hotel you need to walk 3/4 mile to get one. They insist on putting Charbucks in every freakin' hotel, I just want a coffee dammit and I want it now, and none of this prissy Italianesque "Venti" crap. It's 7AM, I want a large coffee. Hot. Now.

[...]I recall that there are some insane pizza places in the North End not on Hanover St. (Ernies/Ernesto's...something like that). Half a friggin pizza for like 5 bucks, and good too. And now I remember Bova's Bakery is always good for quick eat and dessert. Might be able to grab a cab and get a decent lunch somewhere in there.

Regina Pizzeria. Google that beyotch, you'll love their 'za...

Cheers!

Well, I just took off from the sessions a little early and walked to Cambridge (yeah, I walked). I had dinner at the Cambridge Brew Company and sampled their taps. Tall Tale Pale Ale (good, pretty hoppy), Jack Straw (an all Brett sour - freakin' awesome), and Mind Left Body (light Centennial session ale, good but bitter). I just kinda walked around and enjoyed a beautiful summer evening along the Charles and wended my way back to the hotel. I stopped by Bova's just because.

I walked for about 5 hrs but it was a really wonderful evening.

I'm still thinking about the Barking Crab but that may need to wait for another trip to Boston - it was packed and I kinda like to get away from the bustle.

Back