Help save my Porter!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobadays

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I moved this over from Kegging and bottling...

So I kegged 5 gallons of porter and let it carb naturally (carbing sugar addition) and it was/is great. I didn't want to tie up the keg with a beer I think needs to age a month or so, so I bottled it right out of the keg.

Process: I set the keg on the counter - still room temp - then vented just about all the CO2 out of the keg then hooked up my bottling wand to the picnic tap. I left the spring loaded valve in the bottling wand and flipped the valve wide open on the tap. All went well except there was more foam than I have gotten in the past when filling bottles without the spring loaded valve on the bottling wand.

2 days have gone by and I openned one of the bottled porters to see what I had... nearly flat beer. Still tastes great but no head and little carbonation.

Is there a fix? Can I open allthe bottles and throw conditioning tablets in them?

Thanks!

Don

Primary #1: Nothing (Will be Wednesday)
Primary #2: Nothing
Kegged: Joe IPA clone, Falconer's Flight APA
Bottled: Rye IPA, APA, Oatmeal Stout, Black Butte porter clone

Happened to me one. Miscalculated the amount of priming sugar needed and bottled up a batch of Stout. 40 days later, it was nearly flat. I bought some carb drops, poped the tops, added one to each bottle and recapped. Your risk O2 getting in the bottle, but if plan on drinking them within a few months you should be ok.

Thanks phendog.... I'll try another in a few days and if it isn't carbed I will try the carb drops. The beer is great I just think I should have taken the spring loaded valve off the bottom of the bottling wand. I think the restriction there "fizzed" up the beer as I bottled it letting nearly all the CO2 out.

Thanks!

Don

Primary #1: Nothing (Will be Wednesday)
Primary #2: Nothing
Kegged: Joe IPA clone, Falconer's Flight APA
Bottled: Rye IPA, APA, Oatmeal Stout, Black Butte porter clone

Back