Help please .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OomVlam

Reaction score
Hi guys, I recently brewed a full grain single malt single hop beer. When I bottled I noticed a soar or overwhelming citrus smell coming from the beer. After carbonating for a week I tasted one and it tasted great but the overwhelming sent remained. I used 6 kg Munich malt and Cascade hops , 15 grams at 60 min and 10 grams at 15 min in a 20 liter batch. Is this because I added to much aroma or is there something else wrong ?

What makes you think you did something wrong? 25g of cascade is going to have to do a lot of work to stand up to a 20Lt Munich SMaSH, and 10g at 15 is certainly not too much. Cascade is citrusy, so I'd think if you are getting citrus from your beer that'd be a good thing right? You say it tastes great as well, so I don't understand why you believe you did anything wrong.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I recently brewed a full grain single malt single hop beer. When I bottled I noticed a soar or overwhelming citrus smell coming from the beer. After carbonating for a week I tasted one and it tasted great but the overwhelming sent remained. I used 6 kg Munich malt and Cascade hops , 15 grams at 60 min and 10 grams at 15 min in a 20 liter batch. Is this because I added to much aroma or is there something else wrong ?

We need to get you together with @nick 55 who is having a terrible time getting hop flavor and aroma in his beers...
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/cant-get-real-hop-flavor.687242/
My guess is they will calm down to more what you expect over next couple weeks. An ounce of Cascade in a 5 gallon batch should not be overwhelming hop character but would be curious as to what other beers you would be comparing it to?

Also what yeast did you use and what temperature did you ferment at? You might be confusing a yeast based flavor with what you think you are getting from the hops.

I brewed a white beer recently. I dry hopped two ounces (60g) of lemondrop hops. When I kegged it, it was like drinking a lemonade. One week later it taste just enough. Patience! And cold crash.

Cascade is a very citrussy, grapefruit flavour hop. SMaSH beers (like the one you brewed, Single Malt and Single Hop) with Cascade will be citrus-forward of note. You very likely didn't do anything wrong, just didn't expect Cascade to be that Cascade-y. :D

Thank you, yes didn't expect that I must confess

What makes you think you did something wrong? 25g of cascade is going to have to do a lot of work to stand up to a 20Lt Munich SMaSH, and 10g at 15 is certainly not too much. Cascade is citrusy, so I'd think if you are getting citrus from your beer that'd be a good thing right? You say it tastes great as well, so I don't understand why you believe you did anything wrong.

Thanks for the info. I am totally new to brewing beer so it just freaked me out.

We need to get you together with @nick 55 who is having a terrible time getting hop flavor and aroma in his beers...
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/cant-get-real-hop-flavor.687242/
My guess is they will calm down to more what you expect over next couple weeks. An ounce of Cascade in a 5 gallon batch should not be overwhelming hop character but would be curious as to what other beers you would be comparing it to?

Also what yeast did you use and what temperature did you ferment at? You might be confusing a yeast based flavor with what you think you are getting from the hops.

I am using a wine yeast BO 213. I am a total noobe and have alot still to learn

Hi OomVlam, welcome to HBT and to the forum! Why did you decide to use wine yeast, was it based on availability where you are? Speaking of which, where in the world are you?

This might also be part of the problem. Wine yeasts generally produce a slightly fruity, almost sour note in drinks until it completely drops out. I wouldn't use it again if I were you, even if it means ordering yeast over the internet and harvesting for future use.

EDIT: OomVlam - is jy dalk hier in Suid-Afrika? Dis 'n Afrikaanse naam daardie?

Hi OomVlam, welcome to HBT and to the forum! Why did you decide to use wine yeast, was it based on availability where you are? Speaking of which, where in the world are you?

Hi Peppers, I am from just outside Middelburg in the Loskopdam valley (South Africa). I use wine yeast becuase all the oaks that make beer here uses the wine yeast. Also we brew in temperatures of 26c up to 30c and i have been told that the wine yeast handles the temps just fine.

This might also be part of the problem. Wine yeasts generally produce a slightly fruity, almost sour note in drinks until it completely drops out. I wouldn't use it again if I were you, even if it means ordering yeast over the internet and harvesting for future use.

EDIT: OomVlam - is jy dalk hier in Suid-Afrika? Dis 'n Afrikaanse naam daardie?

Hi Toxxyc, ja ek is n boer seun wat hou van bier. Man die ou manne was nou al jare die bier maak se dat die wyn gus die beste is vir ons warm gebied.

Hi Toxxyc, ja ek is n boer seun wat hou van bier. Man die ou manne was nou al jare die bier maak se dat die wyn gus die beste is vir ons warm gebied.
Lekker man. I'm going to post in English so the others understand as well, though. Send me a PM - I'll send you my cell number. I'll point you in the right direction. I'm in Pretoria, so not too far from you. PLENTY of great brew shops here, and if you want guidance or products I'll gladly pick them up and ship them to you.

Wine yeast in a beer is NOT a good idea, specially for beginners, if you ask me. Wine yeasts, for the most part, are a bit more "primitive" and not as experimented with as beer yeasts (for the most part), and they impart a lot of flavour where you don't typically want those flavours in beers. You want "clean" fermentations. Wine yeasts are also more finicky, in my opinion, often with a higher nutrient requirement than your typical ale yeasts and overall I'm just not a fan of them in beers. They want to ferment fructose, not maltose.

Cascade is a very citrussy, grapefruit flavour hop. SMaSH beers (like the one you brewed, Single Malt and Single Hop) with Cascade will be citrus-forward of note. You very likely didn't do anything wrong, just didn't expect Cascade to be that Cascade-y. :D
Lekker man. I'm going to post in English so the others understand as well, though. Send me a PM - I'll send you my cell number. I'll point you in the right direction. I'm in Pretoria, so not too far from you. PLENTY of great brew shops here, and if you want guidance or products I'll gladly pick them up and ship them to you.

Wine yeast in a beer is NOT a good idea, specially for beginners, if you ask me. Wine yeasts, for the most part, are a bit more "primitive" and not as experimented with as beer yeasts (for the most part), and they impart a lot of flavour where you don't typically want those flavours in beers. You want "clean" fermentations. Wine yeasts are also more finicky, in my opinion, often with a higher nutrient requirement than your typical ale yeasts and overall I'm just not a fan of them in beers. They want to ferment fructose, not maltose.

HI I have no idea how to PM you on this forum. but I will give you my number 072-868-6519.

For those fermentation temperatures you might want to get some of that Kveik yeast. It is happy at wide range of temperatures and super easy to harvest and re-use.

Back