Help please !!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erick0619

Reaction score
Im making a belgian pale using wlp 515.

My grain bill is 10lb pils

1.3lb caravienne

.75lb biscuit

.35 aromatic

.75 flaked wheat.

I wanted to build my water so i went out to buy some salts and did some "research" long story short i have no idea what im doing now. I have my ro water ready to go. Here are the salts i have on hand.

Calcium Cholride

Magnesium Sulphate

Gypsum

Care to give a very unorganized brewer some help? I accept all taunts and insults ment to humiliate me. Thank you and have a great day.

Yeah 100% ro water.

Sorry for the delayed response, I was away from my computer. I just ran your scenario through Brun Water spreadsheet.

I set your beer profile to balanced amber (your beer will end up around 9.4 SRM as per your grain bill).

The required minerals would be:

0.27 grams of Calcium Chloride per gallon of treated water;
0.4 grams of gypsum per gallon of treated water.

With the minerals added prior to mashing, you'll end up with an estimated pH 5.42, which is right where I'd want it to be.

Brunwater Belgian Pale.jpg

No worries man and thank you for taking the time offer your help

now i apologize for the super late response.

I ended up brewing that day and after some googling and frustration i setteled on half a teaspoon each of calcium chloride and gypsum.

Whats that software you are using?

No worries man and thank you for taking the time offer your help

now i apologize for the super late response.

I ended up brewing that day and after some googling and frustration i setteled on half a teaspoon each of calcium chloride and gypsum.

Whats that software you are using?

He's using a spreadsheet called bruinwater (google it) it's A free download.
If you get a water report from your city, or send your well water to be tested then you can enter the details into the spreadsheet and it will tell you what to add in order to brew with your tap water. Or just keep using RO, personally I got tired of going to the store for 10g of water.

He's using a spreadsheet called bruinwater (google it) it's A free download.
If you get a water report from your city, or send your well water to be tested then you can enter the details into the spreadsheet and it will tell you what to add in order to brew with your tap water. Or just keep using RO, personally I got tired of going to the store for 10g of water.

That's correct, Bru'n Water is one of many spreadsheets that can be used to predict your mash pH and how pH changes with the addition of minerals and acid.

For your free copy of the spreadsheet, go to:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

:mug:

Awesome thank you both ill look into it. One more thing, the additions that i made was that ok for my beer style?

Awesome thank you both ill look into it. One more thing, the additions that i made was that ok for my beer style?

Half a spoon of calcium chloride and gypsum is a good start. Sounds fine with me. You can adjust the additions in your next Belgian ale, once you taste the results of the current one.

Latest posts

Back