Help please with last stages..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olrummum

Reaction score
Hi there, I've currently got a 38 litre / 10 US gallon all grain DIPA on the go in my 14g SS chronical and would like your opinions on what I should do next, regarding dry hopping, yeast dumping, cooling, etc.

The OG was: 1.078, 11 days ago

3 days ago it was: 1.016

I mashed it low at 64 degrees c / 147 degrees f

I used: 2 smack packs wyeast 1272 (No starter.)
2 packs dry West Coast yeast, re-hydrated

It was fermented at: 20 degrees c / 70 degrees f. for 12 days
then raised to 22 / 71.6 degrees f (which it's been at for 5 days)

I thought it might have settled down so I attempted to slowly dump some yeast out on Saturday just gone, (temp was 71.6 degrees f)
I slowly opened the bottom valve but only beer came out- hardly any yeast. Now I know they say the yeast can stick to the sides but I really thought there would at least be some initially yeast in the very base of the cone?

That's when I took a hydrometer sample and it showed the beer was sitting at 1.016 and still very yeasty. I've kept the sample in the kitchen and it's now down to 1.012 and clearing.

I was going to dry hop columbus and/ or chinook pellets at this point but decided it needed more time to let the yeast do it's work before I interfere with it any more.

I'm weighing up the options with cold crashing, etc but I'm worried that by cooling then it might cause it to floc out that lovely hoppy fruitiness that the 1272 gives?

So in a nutshell..

1) When should I dry hop?
2) If I cold crash then when and at what temperature and will it affect the fruity aroma and taste?
3) I like the idea of burping co2 through the dump valve to really get the best aroma but do I need to crash the temp to drop the yeast first? I don't like the idea of hops and yeast blowing around inside the fermenter.
4) When should I next take a hydrometer sample?
5) Can I bottle straight from the Chronical or should I transfer to a bottling bucket?

Cheers with any help you guys (or gals) can give me!
Ollie.

1- You could start the dry hop now; if there's a point or three of ferment-ability left it'll help scrub any O2 brought in with the hops.

2- fwiw, I dry hop for 4-5 days @~68°F, then cold-crash to ~34°F for at least two days before kegging.

3- I have no idea what that technique is supposed to do. Pass.

4- Today would be good, to see if that FG has moved at all.

5- Assuming you have a plumbing solution that would fill bottles, the viability probably comes down to mixing in the primer.
If the chronical isn't loaded up with trub I suppose you could mix in the primer there...

Cheers!

Ok thanks day trippa- I think I'll leave it a bit to let the yeast mop up some of the last bits then will think about what to do next.

Hi there, I've currently got a 38 litre / 10 US gallon all grain DIPA on the go in my 14g SS chronical and would like your opinions on what I should do next, regarding dry hopping, yeast dumping, cooling, etc.

The OG was: 1.078, 11 days ago

3 days ago it was: 1.016

I mashed it low at 64 degrees c / 147 degrees f

I used: 2 smack packs wyeast 1272 (No starter.)
2 packs dry West Coast yeast, re-hydrated

It was fermented at: 20 degrees c / 70 degrees f. for 12 days
then raised to 22 / 71.6 degrees f (which it's been at for 5 days)

I thought it might have settled down so I attempted to slowly dump some yeast out on Saturday just gone, (temp was 71.6 degrees f)
I slowly opened the bottom valve but only beer came out- hardly any yeast. Now I know they say the yeast can stick to the sides but I really thought there would at least be some initially yeast in the very base of the cone?

That's when I took a hydrometer sample and it showed the beer was sitting at 1.016 and still very yeasty. I've kept the sample in the kitchen and it's now down to 1.012 and clearing.

I was going to dry hop columbus and/ or chinook pellets at this point but decided it needed more time to let the yeast do it's work before I interfere with it any more.

I'm weighing up the options with cold crashing, etc but I'm worried that by cooling then it might cause it to floc out that lovely hoppy fruitiness that the 1272 gives?

So in a nutshell..

1) When should I dry hop?
2) If I cold crash then when and at what temperature and will it affect the fruity aroma and taste?
3) I like the idea of burping co2 through the dump valve to really get the best aroma but do I need to crash the temp to drop the yeast first? I don't like the idea of hops and yeast blowing around inside the fermenter.
4) When should I next take a hydrometer sample?
5) Can I bottle straight from the Chronical or should I transfer to a bottling bucket?

Cheers with any help you guys (or gals) can give me!
Ollie.
your yeast was suspended, wort or beer still to warm for yeast to settle and fall out. Cold crashing (33 deg. F.) 3-5 days is the way to get it out. As for dry hopping, on ales and lagers I always go with a 3-7 day depending on the amount of flavor and aroma I want.

your yeast was suspended, wort or beer still to warm for yeast to settle and fall out. Cold crashing (33 deg. F.) 3-5 days is the way to get it out. As for dry hopping, on ales and lagers I always go with a 3-7 day depending on the amount of flavor and aroma I want.

Cheers dude- yeah I think you might be right.
I dry hopped it last Wednesday at 68 deg then crashed the temp to 35 deg on Sunday, where it's been sitting since. I'm going to bottle this Sunday. Would you let the beer warm back up before bottling or doesn't it matter?
Cheers!

Cheers dude- yeah I think you might be right.
I dry hopped it last Wednesday at 68 deg then crashed the temp to 35 deg on Sunday, where it's been sitting since. I'm going to bottle this Sunday. Would you let the beer warm back up before bottling or doesn't it matter?
Cheers!
No bottle the beer cold, in cold sanitized bottles. This will help prevent foaming if the bottle temp is the same as the beer temp.

Latest posts

Back