Help noob with sanitizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChickenRob

Reaction score
Hi, I searched the forum and came up empty. I’m doing a keezer build for seltzer. I’m getting new corny kegs, new Eva barrier lines, duotight connectors, kegland continuous seltzer lid, and feeding the system with filtered water and dispensing with a seltzer tap. I’ll also be dispensing chilled still water from the same tap.

my questions:
1. What do I need to do to sanitize the kegs, tap and lines before first use? Do I just need to flush with clean water?

2. how often do I need to sanitize the ststem? My RO filter system needs sanitizing annually. Would that suffice for seltzer.

Thanks for any help!

1. For "new to you" kegs I would advise assuming said kegs have manufacturing residues that require removal, and so would thoroughly clean them using something like OxyFree then sanitize the keg(s) and connected tubing and fixtures by running something like a standard Star San/water mix through the keg and through everything down-stream.

2. Good question. Some folks clean a beer line and faucet whenever they swap a keg. Others are likely thinking "How do I clean my beer lines?" even now ;)

Fwiw, I run a six faucet keezer - all home brews - and have a cleaning rig that legs me pop the beer QDs off all kegs, plug them on a cleaning manifold, hook up a drain manifold that connects to all six faucet spouts, then use a pump to do a single-pass rinse, then a warm recirculation for 20 minutes using BLC or LLC cleaner, followed by a single-pass rinse...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back