Help! No fermentation after 9 days!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdawson9

Reaction score
Hi there. I brewed an extract amber ale on Memorial Day. My usual process is to pitch yeast the next morning because its challenging to get cool temps fast in Florida even with a wort chiller. So the next morning I aerated and pitched wyeast 1968. I had smacked it the night before but didn't pitch. I checked on it that night and no activity had started. The next morning I left the country to return tonight. So now I'm at 9 days and I see no sign of activity. Granted I'm using a bucket but the airlock looks exactly the same. Assuming that the yeast didn't take off for some reason, what are my options? The beer has been sitting in a temp controlled fridge at 62 F the whole time. Can I repitch another pack? Are there any downsides or risks in doing that?
Thanks for any insight!,

If you are using a bucket, maybe the lid didn't seal all the way and it fermented anyway. Even a small leak in the lid will have no movement in the airlock. I bet it's fine and done.

Check to see if there's a crud ring from receeding krausen & take a gravity reading first. Then you'll know what to do.

You guys were right. Gravity is 1.015. Awesome. Really fooled me. With no bubbling after 9 days. I did find the yeast packet from the smack pack in the wort tho. No signs of infection tho and the beer tastes good. Whew!

mdawson9 said:
You guys were right. Gravity is 1.015. Awesome. Really fooled me. With no bubbling after 9 days. I did find the yeast packet from the smack pack in the wort tho. No signs of infection tho and the beer tastes good. Whew!

There's always something. For the wyeast, just snip off a little corner and pour in.

Latest posts

Back