Help! my mash tun is leaking!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddicker60

Reaction score
we have a coleman extreme 72qt cooler we are converting, and it leaks. We are using a T and stainless steal hose. We have o-rings and washers all there and it is still leaking. We are using 1/2 in everything, but the hole is almost 3/4. Is there any quick fix we want to brew tomorrow?

we have a coleman extreme 72qt cooler we are converting, and it leaks. We are using a T and stainless steal hose. We have o-rings and washers all there and it is still leaking. We are using 1/2 in everything, but the hole is almost 3/4. Is there any quick fix we want to brew tomorrow?

If you're using 1/2 NPT, your hole would have to be bigger than 3/4 (unless you're saying 3/4 NPT?). Nominal OD on 1/2 NPT is 0.840. I think you'd need to describe more about exactly what parts you are using. I'm sure someone has that cooler and could offer advice. I don't have that cooler, but I do know that it's often a good idea to re-use the gasket that was already providing the seal on the cooler. Also, counter-intuitively, sometimes the problem is over-tightening.

The gasket broke, you were right- that's the exact dimensions, so it's closer to an inch

I have the 60 qt version of that. Are you reusing the inside seal that came installed in the cooler? I used that plus some washers, a 1/2 MPT-1/2 MPT, a ball valve and a 1/2 FPT coupler. I had to make it TIGHT to not leak.

If you wont have the stock seal, I don't know how you would do it.

I have the 70 qt version. I also used the gasket that came with the cooler. It still leaks a little, but it's manageable. I used a lot of Teflon tape and SS washers on both sides.

If you don't have the original gasket, I think you can get a replacement from Coleman. I remember seeing them when I was trying to Id the cooler by model #.

I doubt it. I'll see if I can find the website. Short term I'd say use some SS washers and silicon washers to get it to the point where you have a slow leak until you can get a replacement washer.

Get some DAP 100% silicone. Works great.

They have a few different versions out there so read the back of the tube to make sure it the kind that is food safe and good for temps above your strike temps.

Back