Help me use aging ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwolf99

Reaction score
I could use some suggestions on using up the DME, grains, and hops that I have in my inventory. Most everything is between 6 and 9 months old (properly stored). But looking to clear out as much as I can and get some fresh inventory in. These might not stretch to a full 5 gal batch, but I'd be fine with just 2 or 3 gals. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

3.5 lbs Briess pilsen light DME
0.25 lb Bavarian Wheat DME
1.0 lb black-patent malt
0.75 lb Caramalt
0.25 lb Crystal Malt 40L
0.5 lb Crystal Malr 120L
2 oz Cascade hops
1 oz Centennial hops
0.75 oz Saaz hops

Thanks

Use all the DME, steep the caramalt. Bitter with an ounce of cascade and flavor with the other ounce or use the saaz. If the saaz has been opened and sitting for that long it's probably lost it's aroma which means it's useless for flavor.

Maybe a 3 gal black IPA? I would tend to use debittered black for this but trying to roll with what you've got. Don't know your AA's but would be something like below which would use up everything but some of the black malt and the rest of your crystal malts. You could throw in more late or dry hops if you wish:

Batch Size (fermenter): 3.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.067 SG
Estimated Color: 27.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 63.6 IBUs

6.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt 7.7 %
4.0 oz Caramel Malt - 40L 5.1 %
3 lbs 12.0 oz Extra Light DME 76.9 %
.25 lb Wheat DME 5.1 %
.25 lb Cane Sugar 5.1 %
1.00 oz Centennial [9.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min 53.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [6.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min 6.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [6.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min 3.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [6.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
0.75 oz Saaz [3.75 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [6.70 %] Dry Hop 0.0 IBUs

edit: sorry entered the pilsen slightly wrong but with 3.5 lb would be 1.063 and IBU 65

Maybe a 3 gal black IPA? I would tend to use debittered black for this but trying to roll with what you've got. Don't know your AA's but would be something like below which would use up everything but some of the black malt and the rest of your crystal malts.

I like this. I was thinking of a black IPA as well given grains I'm dealing with. Most of them came from the popular India Red Ale thread (thanks again, Tim) which I brewed last summer and it came out great. Coincidentally, I just finished my last bottle of that a couple of hours ago. Obviously the hops were no where what they were when fresh, but it otherwise tasted damn good for having sat in the back of the fridge for 8 months.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back