Help me Motorize my MM-3

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmullins

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just got my Monster Mill 3 with the 1.5" rollers and the 1/2" drive shaft and am planning on building a milling station, but could use some help planning the motorizing components. I have read every thread that I can find on here, but I am not an engineer, so a lot of went over my head (if anybody needs help with directors & officers insurance, I'm your guy though).

Now, I take it there are two ways of doing this.

1. Direct driving with a motor. This motor seems to be the go to for people who are purchasing http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=5-1098&catname= . What coupler would I need to connect this to the MM? I've got a neighbor who is an electrician who would make sure that it is wired up properly.

2. A pulley system using a higher RPM motor.

As I have nothing except for my MM, I am just looking for some advice onto the preferable method, and what I would need to get everything going. Thanks

I'm in the same boat you're in, just took delivery a couple of days ago of my MM. A random place on the 'net has the parts for cheaper, i found them w/ google shopping. zorotools.com,
G1603393 (1.5" for $3.25)
G2490293 (12" for $25.75)

Check my post out on another thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/looking-grain-mill-motor-advice-246959/#post2944041

Everyone posts about that same motor. IMO it's not powerful enough, although on that thread at the end there is a video of someone using it with the MM3. As per MM, it isn't ideally rated for a 3 roller mill. I would not go less than a 1/4 HP motor. I have a 1/3 HP motor that's 1725 RPM geared down (w/ a gearbox, not pulleys) to 175 RPM and 100 in-Lb of torque. That motor will only give you 40 lb torque. The MM3 needs more like at least 60, as per Fred Francis. I don't see going thru the project of motorizing if there's even a chance it will be underpowered.

Back