Help me make my first stout!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spam_and_eggs

Reaction score
So I was at my LHBS yesterday and saw an already milled grain bag marked "Stout Clearance Grains" for $3.99. It was a ~3.5lbs bag of crushed grains that had been messed up by whoever milled it for the customer. Apparently they didn't have the right mix or a wrong grain. Anyway, I bought it just to see if I can make anything from it. The bag contains:

1.375lbs Roasted Barley
0.875lbs Chocolate
0.5lbs Crystal 120L
0.25lbs Black Patent
0.75lbs Flaked Oats

What can I add and how much of it to make this a decent beer. Keep in mind that I mainly do small batches, mostly 2 gallons, and only have a 4 gallon kettle.

Also, could I possibly use this to make 2 small batches and add coffee and/or chocolate to one to compare how they turn out?

Thanks!

If you only make 2 gallon batches, then you'll need to cut this bag in half and get yourself a base for it. Like 3 lbs liguid extract (light/pale) if you are an extract brewer, and steep the grain. Or mash half the grain with 4 lbs Marris Otter or other pale base malt. You'll be good to go.

Yes I think turning that grain into 2 batches would be the way to go. Keep in mind already cracked grain does not stay as fresh as uncracked grain. As far as recipes, you can look on the HBT recipe pages for info on coffee stouts, just do a little math to convert from their volume to your 2 gallons.

Your first challenge will be the amount of roasted barley. I would typically use 2 to 6 ounces in a 5 gallon batch. Your grain mix has well over a pound. That would make the beer pretty stout. It might just climb out of the bottle and smack you one.

I'd mix this bunch of grains with several other grains to make about 5 batches of stout.

Thanks guys. How does this sound:

- Steep all the grains for 30 min
- Do a 3 gallon boil and add 5 lbs of light DME
- 2 oz 60' Fuggles
- Top up to 4 gallons (just got a 6.5 gal fermenter so I can do this)
- Split into two 2 gallon batches, add coffee and chocolate to one
- 1 pack S-04 each

The bag is somewhere around 1-2 months old so I was thinking I should try and use everything as soon as I could. Or will it still stay fresh for longer?

The hops are going to get lost in this beer (that's OK) just say'in. I would use for a 10 gallon run: 2lbs roasted barley, 1lb C-60, 1lb chocolate. The stout I just shared will turn-out black as night, and thick. You have a lot of dark powerful grain there my friend.

It makes me wonder what and how these grains were going to me used in the first place. Or if it's because the miller messed up.

Maybe I should just toss the bag?

I made a 4 gallon batch of Imperial Stout that had 2lbs of black patent, and it was fantastic. Given that black patent is more aggressive than what you've got, I think you could make a pretty nice imperial by adding 2-row/DME to get to around 1.090 and hopping anywhere north of 60 IBUs.

I like your idea! What did you do for fermentation?

Also, can this be done in a 3 gallon boil? According to brewer's friend, I would need to add 8lbs of light DME

I split the batch between three different English yeasts. I didn't notice any differences. With that level of roast, you won't notice any esters. The important thing is temp control, and choosing a yeast that attenuates as much or as little as you want.

Latest posts

Back