Help me dry out my marzen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Argyll Gargoyle

Reaction score
I got a marzen extract kit for cheap on AIH, but it looks like it won’t be dry enough. The kit is 7lb Munich LME, 1lb Vienna and 0.5lb caramunich. I plan to use 34/70, since I don’t have a temp controlled fridge.

Any recommendations on how I can dry this out a bit? Would adding some sugar be an improvement, or should I just leave well enough alone?
I was also thinking of increasing the Vienna a bit.

Thanks

By 'dry out', you mean reduce the final gravity? It sounds like you mean something else, since you haven't brewed this yet, if I read your post correctly, so you don't know the final gravity yet. ❓

By 'dry out', you mean reduce the final gravity? It sounds like you mean something else, since you haven't brewed this yet, if I read your post correctly, so you don't know the final gravity yet. ❓
That’s right - I plan to brew tomorrow. The kit claims OG 1.057 and target FG 1.014.

Why do you think it won't be dry enough?
Well, it’s mostly extract for one - I’m wondering if I should back off to 3.5lb Munich LME and then mash more Vienna and Munich. But truthfully, I don’t know. Maybe I should just brew it as-is and see.

The ME bill seems fine, but extract does have a tendency to stall early - there's nothing that can be done about it by the mix of extract.
What I would suggest is to add half the extract early on in the boil, then the other half with 30 minutes or even less left.
also, make sure your temps are in line with the yeast's recomendations, and more importantly pitch an increased amount. Do you have just one packet of yeast? Is it dry or liquid? Either case, I would recommend making a starter for it, let it get woken up and used to working in the correct environment.

Add a pound of brown sugar last 5 min of a boil. I did it once for a pumpkin ale .It was dryer then an afghans thong. That about how dry you want it lol

The ME bill seems fine, but extract does have a tendency to stall early - there's nothing that can be done about it by the mix of extract.
What I would suggest is to add half the extract early on in the boil, then the other half with 30 minutes or even less left.
also, make sure your temps are in line with the yeast's recomendations, and more importantly pitch an increased amount. Do you have just one packet of yeast? Is it dry or liquid? Either case, I would recommend making a starter for it, let it get woken up and used to working in the correct environment.

I'd actually add the majority of the extract at flameout- it's plenty hot enough to pasteurize the extract and avoid unnecessary darkening (maillard reactions). I'd use about 2 pounds in the boil, or about 1 pound per gallon in the boil (depending on your boil size).

Brewed this today using the stock recipe. Didn’t end up adding any sugar. Glad I did the late addition of Munich LME—it was pretty dark already. Pitched two packs of 34/70 and fermenting at about 70F. We’ll see how it goes! Thanks for the advice

Last edited:
Back