Help, Keg posts won't pass gas or liguid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwin

Reaction score
Skip to last paragraph for the gist.

Pick up a pair of pin locks. One Cornelius and one Fireatone (I think, solid black handle, no markings aside from coca cola).
Cleaned them up, new orings and poppets(universal from amazon).
I had a hard time with the posts at reassemble but figured it out. Different theads.
Anyway, I needed to package my RIS today, so I figured I would sanitize and purge 4 kegs by pushing star San from one to the next with gas, purging at the same time. This would also allow me to pressure test the new kegs and have sanitizer on demand (I used distilled water so it should be good for a while).

Anyway, I could not get the ?Firestone? Keg to pass anything through either post. I'm thinking the poppets are the culprit. Maybe the spring is to stout? I tried to push gas through as well, nothing.
But... the same poppets were used in the Cornelius keg without issue except that one looks to have seated a little crooked. Also, I had to push down on the liquid QD to start the full flow. Otherwise the hose was bouncing around, sputtering.
Anyone else experience this before? Should I just exercise the poppets or trim them?
thanks.

I bet it's the spring but I would first take out the dip tube and just be sure you can blow air through it with your mouth...it could be clogged.

Thanks for the reply.Dip tubes are both good. I flushed it post oxy soak and water went right through.
Note, it wont pass liquid or gas. Either post. I'm going to try and exercise the poppers tonight and see. They didn't seem remarkably hard to push down or anything...

Back