Help in pinpointing this off-flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I struggled with this flavor in the past when I was mashing on the stove-top in a bag. Grain is getting into your boil. I used a seperate boil kettle so I was able to filter the wort through a mesh screen with some cheese cloth on it and that solved the problem.

The flavor came back when I got a more traditional mash tun with a false bottom. I wasn't vorlaufing enough. I've had astrigent beers and its a completely different flavor.

I struggled with this flavor in the past when I was mashing on the stove-top in a bag. Grain is getting into your boil. I used a seperate boil kettle so I was able to filter the wort through a mesh screen with some cheese cloth on it and that solved the problem.

The flavor came back when I got a more traditional mash tun with a false bottom. I wasn't vorlaufing enough. I've had astrigent beers and its a completely different flavor.

I was initially quite certain this was happening to me as well. That's why I changed my grind, plus changed my bag to a very tight voile material. I'm now doing the same thing that all of the other BIAB brewers are doing. I would think if it truly was grain/flour getting into the boil then more people would be complaining of this issue as well.

HossTheGreat said:
I'm now doing the same thing that all of the other BIAB brewers are doing. I would think if it truly was grain/flour getting into the boil then more people would be complaining of this issue as well.

I still can't figure that out either. Especially considering a lot of BIABers crush their grain very fine. This flavor prompted me to adjust my water profile and lengthen my boil time as well, so my solution could've been a combination of all. Hope you figure it out soon. If all else fails, try mashing in a separate tun, run it through some kind of filter and see if any grain chunks are getting through the bag. Good luck!

I still can't figure that out either. Especially considering a lot of BIABers crush their grain very fine. This flavor prompted me to adjust my water profile and lengthen my boil time as well, so my solution could've been a combination of all. Hope you figure it out soon. If all else fails, try mashing in a separate tun, run it through some kind of filter and see if any grain chunks are getting through the bag. Good luck!

Yeah, I guess I'm looking for a magic bullet here. Maybe it's not just one thing, but a combination of multiple that's doing it. But at this point I feel like I've eliminated nearly every possible culprit. Here on out any adjustments I make feel like is going to be a stretch. This seems like such an uncommon issue, and it just baffles me that nothing I have tried has worked.

What are you going to try next?

Prob gonna try a 90 minute boil next to see the effect.

Also to rule out any issues with the malt I'm using both CMC 2-Row and Tom Fawcett Marris Otter and have noticed the same issue with both, so I certainly don't think the malt has anything to do with it.

HossTheGreat said:
Prob gonna try a 90 minute boil next to see the effect.

Also to rule out any issues with the malt I'm using both CMC 2-Row and Tom Fawcett Marris Otter and have noticed the same issue with both, so I certainly don't think the malt has anything to do with it.

Yeah its not malt related. I've done a few 60 minute boils and the problem didn't reappear.

The reason I was convinced it came from boiling husk material is because I had it when I used a bag, I filtered and it went away, then I got a new mash tun and it came back. Then I figured out how to vorlauf properly and it went away again. It was present after I started adjusting my water and doing 90 minute boils.

Its also possible we are discussing two different flavors since we haven't tasted each others beers. Do you know any bjcp judges or something similiar that you could try your beer?

Yeah its not malt related. I've done a few 60 minute boils and the problem didn't reappear.

The reason I was convinced it came from boiling husk material is because I had it when I used a bag, I filtered and it went away, then I got a new mash tun and it came back. Then I figured out how to vorlauf properly and it went away again. It was present after I started adjusting my water and doing 90 minute boils.

Its also possible we are discussing two different flavors since we haven't tasted each others beers. Do you know any bjcp judges or something similiar that you could try your beer?

I was thinking about entering one of these problematic beers into a comp to see what the comments are. Competition feedback I've received on my beers always has been hit or miss, but it's certainly worth a shot I suppose.

I was thinking about entering one of these problematic beers into a comp to see what the comments are. Competition feedback I've received on my beers always has been hit or miss, but it's certainly worth a shot I suppose.

Having the same issue here! Anyone has successfully eliminated the "grainy" aroma and taste?

Back