Help identifying these bines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skep18

Reaction score
I ordered two Cascade hop rhizomes from a supplier and planted them (first time growing hops). The photos below show the bines I'm getting so far. The leaves from the two plants appear to be pretty different. Is this correct or did I get a mixed up order?

OdzwQHtl.jpg

bYts1z0l.jpg

Thanks guys for any input you can provide. I have contacted the supplier but thought I would ask the community as well.

It is nearly impossible to identify hops varieties by their leaves. Each variety has very similar leaves. I've had 3 varieties growing for years and I can't tell them until they produce cones.

Hops plants can have leaves with one, three, or five lobes and all 3 types of leaves can grow on the same plant at the same time. Also the one lobed leaves probably will develop into 3 lobed then later 5 lobed. The bottom plant looks very much like hops leaves when they are at the 1 lobe stage.

What Jonas said.

In the past, this has screwed with my head as I tried to confirm lineage of plants given to me by friends. As stated, plant to plant, the leaves can be rather different, especially when young (in my experience). Again, in my experience, as the plants mature the discrepancies fade as you stop comparing them leaf to leaf and start comparing the overall features of the entire plant.

We do put a lot of faith in the label on the baggy or the words from our friends mouths, because most of us will never truly know if what we planted is what we actually think they are... LoL, we need talk shows to do paternity testing for us... "Cascade, you are NOT the asexual parent of this baby rhizome!" But I digress.

If one of our professional hop experts would like to explain why not all leaves have the same number of lobes, I would love to know the answer! (I'm a mechanic, not a botanist)

There can be a lot of variability concerning leaf shape in the newly emerged foliage when you start off with rhizomes. Later on in the growing season as they become a little more mature you'll most likely see the overall leaf shape (number of lobes, etc.) of the two plants become much more similar if they're the same variety. This might help explain a little better: https://books.google.com/books?id=W...0CFAQ6AEwCg#v=onepage&q=hop leaf lobe&f=false

It is nearly impossible to identify hops varieties by their leaves. Each variety has very similar leaves. I've had 3 varieties growing for years and I can't tell them until they produce cones.

Hops plants can have leaves with one, three, or five lobes and all 3 types of leaves can grow on the same plant at the same time. Also the one lobed leaves probably will develop into 3 lobed then later 5 lobed. The bottom plant looks very much like hops leaves when they are at the 1 lobe stage.

What Jonas said.

In the past, this has screwed with my head as I tried to confirm lineage of plants given to me by friends. As stated, plant to plant, the leaves can be rather different, especially when young (in my experience). Again, in my experience, as the plants mature the discrepancies fade as you stop comparing them leaf to leaf and start comparing the overall features of the entire plant.

We do put a lot of faith in the label on the baggy or the words from our friends mouths, because most of us will never truly know if what we planted is what we actually think they are... LoL, we need talk shows to do paternity testing for us... "Cascade, you are NOT the asexual parent of this baby rhizome!" But I digress.

If one of our professional hop experts would like to explain why not all leaves have the same number of lobes, I would love to know the answer! (I'm a mechanic, not a botanist)

There can be a lot of variability concerning leaf shape in the newly emerged foliage when you start off with rhizomes. Later on in the growing season as they become a little more mature you'll most likely see the overall leaf shape (number of lobes, etc.) of the two plants become much more similar if they're the same variety. This might help explain a little better: https://books.google.com/books?id=W...0CFAQ6AEwCg#v=onepage&q=hop leaf lobe&f=false

Thanks for the great input. More leaves grew on the bines and both seem to have a mixed batch of leaf shapes as you guys alluded to above.

I'm very new to this and am glad to learn as I go.

Back