HELP - Grain Substitution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJM

Reaction score
I am going to brew a Scottish 70 today and the recipe calls for .5 lbs of honey malt. I do not have the honey malt. What can I sub for it? I have all sorts of crystal malts, amber malt, vienna, cara vienna, melanoidin, munich and victory. Thanks for your help

I'm not really sure there is a sub for honey malt. If you've never used it, it is quit unique.
You might be able to use some C40 or cara Vienna. Its not the same but it will get you by.

Thanks. I ended up mixing munich, cara vienna and melanoidin. We'll see how it turns out.

I wwould just add .5 lb of whatever your base malt is and add some regular honey at the end for some flavor Just my thought tho.

Off subject but how far are you from Franklin, I went camping there in the early eighties, I think it was called big ben or something like that. When we went to town for supplies we were shocked when people said hello to us being that we were strangers, we were not used to that coming from NJ.

Latest posts

Back