Help for Brewday Tomorrow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppyhoppyhippo

Reaction score
So foolish unplanning me (really foolish can't make a plan brother) is brewing a belgian strong ale tomorrow. We lack the time to make a proper starter (just got home from work and LHBS is closed) so I was curious, I know I can hit my target with 2 vials of yeast (presuming they aren't horribly unviable which will change my purchasing method) I was curious though, could I save 5 bucks and do a vial of trappist ale mixed with Safbrew t-58? Or would the yeast flavors just compete too much?

IMHO I would just go ahead and pitch dry yeast vs the liquid without a starter. Depending on the calculator and your OG you should probably pitch about 2 to 4ish dry packets for a proper pitching rate.

I dunno if the yeast flavors would compete too much with the yeasts you are talking about but usually one will dominate...

Can you? Sure. You'll get some combination of the flavors from both. I haven't used the t-58, but the description is "estery and peppery". That seems reasonable for a strong ale. The trappist is fruitier, so that might be interesting.

Can you? Sure. You'll get some combination of the flavors from both. I haven't used the t-58, but the description is "estery and peppery". That seems reasonable for a strong ale. The trappist is fruitier, so that might be interesting.

That was sadly my thought. Interesting. But stuff I find interesting doesn't always turn out good haha.

You can save $5 and make beer or you can spend an extra $5 and make the beer you wanted to make. If I were wanting to make a Belgian Strong, I would use the correct yeast.

Is this a golden strong or a dark strong? In a golden, a little more pepper might be nice. In a dark, eh, you really want the dark fruit to come through.

Is this a golden strong or a dark strong? In a golden, a little more pepper might be nice. In a dark, eh, you really want the dark fruit to come through.

It's gonna be a dark, and that's a good point. I was reading guidelines and I think the blend may actually get what I want. They say a peppery flavor is good.

I'm pretty sure on some of the belgian dark strong recipies people underpitch on purpose and have been happy with the added flavors.... for sure in 3787 not sure about roch yeasts. Believe there's a discussion about it in the vast 'The Pious - Westvleteren 12 clone' thread.

I always do stirplate starters for liquid yeasts.... even when I made my Westy12.

Back