Help finding correct pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modobrew

Reaction score
Ok guys (and ladies), I recently happened upon two 15 gallon plastic conical ferementers and have been trying to decide the best way to maintain temps. I have decided that I want to have a container in a freezer with water or glycol that will be pumped (using a submersible pump if possible) through some tubing (silicon) to a SS immersion style chiller in the fermenter and back to the container. This system will be controlled via thermocouples and digital temp controllers. I am having trouble trying to find the right pump (budget friendly) that will work in this way. I would like to be able to cool the fermenters to lagering temps when needed, though most beers I brew tend to be ales. The fermenter will likely be wrapped with a water heater blanket to help with ambient temp. variations. Does anyone have a similar set up? Does anyone have any recommendations on pumps? I have looked at Little Giant pond pumps, though I doubt they are suitable for use with glycol. Also, if you have any input on necessary flow rates, that would great as well. Thanks for any help.

this is the pump im using for a glycol chiller...
Amazon.com: SHURflo Industrial Pump - 198 GPH, 115 Volt, 1/2in., Model# 2088-594-154: Home Improvement

dont know if that is "budget friendly" to you or not, but it works very nicely. i have a manifold coming off the output of it going to 3 solenoids that feed 3 different temperature control zones.

polyethelyne glycol is compatable with most common pump materials, you might even try one of the $20 submersible pumps at harbor freight. a little giant or anything similar should work. i only picked that pump because i need self-priming and enough PSI to push coolant from the basement up thru my kegerator on the floor above and then back down. impeller pumps wouldnt do this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the responses. Zamial, your idea is similar to what I have been thinking. As for the kraussen, i've never had any issues getting it off anything using a long HOT PBW soak. I would probably soak the whole fermenter with immersion coil inside in PBW. Not sure what might have happened to your 2nd batch, but i wouldnt solely blame it on the coil unless you know it was infected. You mentioned that you had no o-rings or anything on your valve, could something have possible been trapped somewhere around that whole from your previous batch?

I'm going to give it a shot and see if I have the same issues. Seems to be a viable option and one that doesnt require too much money.

Back