Help designing new basement brewery please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martianpc

Thirsty Bull Brewing
Reaction score
I am looking for some help. I have been a reader for quite some time but my involvement here has been on the dispensing side and not the brewing side.

I am looking to build a nice brew station in my basement room. I am having trouble deciding between a few different setups.

So far I am leaning towards doing a E keggle BIAB system. I have also considered using a cooler for Mashing but I see no reason to not be able to make a better 1 keggle system. Long term I would like to build a clone of Kal's setup. However, I want to go more basic for now due to the cost of entry for Kals system. That said, I would rather do things right the first time. I do not like going the basic route and then feeling like I need to upgrade right away.

I have taken inspiration from these builds

- https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/simple-ssvr-controlled-e-biab-rig-443594/

- http://www.instructables.com/id/Electric-brewing-system/

- https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/hu...el-stir-plate-ferm-controller-61-pics-400554/

----I think that last one would be too costly to build.

I am considering the following ideas.

-Do I want to bottom drain the keg or use a valve out the side?
-Do I want to use a pump for a sparge sprayer?
-What is the best way to stop trub from leaving the keg after the boil?
-Soldered Tri Clover or Weldless fittings?
-How should I maintain temp during mash? Use heating element or super good insulation? Rims?
-Others.....

Ultimately I am having a very tough time deciding what to order.

I already have or have ordered:
-Camco 5500 watt heating element
-40amp SSR
-Sanke Keg
-240v 30 amp GFCI breaker
-Tools to build this sort of thing

Needed still:
-Fittings
-Dip Tube
-PID
-Project box
-Wiring (shouldn't need contactor as the breaker will be right there accessible)
-Hop screen?
-whirlpool?
-Pumps?
-False bottom to stop bag?
-RTD temp probe
-Sightglass

Here is a view of the room
IMG_20140104_132716.jpg

IMG_20140104_132742.jpg

I am still going to cover the ceiling so the insulation isn't exposed. How important is a ventilation system for the steam? could I just use a fan to circulate the steam in the room without running into moisture problems?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

Thanks!

I'm on my phone so I can't give full thoughts easily. My first thought was what is your experience level with the hobby? If it's something you know you are serious about and you have the money, build what you want the first time. If this setup is built to last the long haul I would prioritize functionality. I have been brewing a decade, the process doesn't really excite me anymore, I want it to go smoothly with minimal exertion. For me that means using pumps and making my kettles capable if tipping to easily clean and clear the grains.

For some of your questions, I greatly prefer triclover, much easier to deal with and clean. I have bottom ports on both my HLT and MT simply to make draining them out easier. I don't use a sparge arm, I am considering it. But I do have a herms system so it does recirculate. I think adding the sparge arm would reduce channeling.

Finally, join a brew club or two and ask folks to brew on their rigs with them and get some solid practical knowledge of what designs will work the best for you.

@martianpc - um....did you hijack my brain and ask the exact same question i logged onto HBT to ask just now? Looks like we have the same journey ahead of us, my friend.

@bensiff brings up some great advice...I'm 4 years in and am now trying to maximize quality and repeatability. I care more about control than automation though sometimes automation gives more control than not...if that makes sense.

My biggest desire to go E Keggle BIAB is control over mash temps with the minimum amount of equipment. Having won 2 gold medals at the LA County Fair using BIAB, I'm sold on the process...now I just want to get control my mash temps with more accuracy than a knob on a propane regulator.

All of your questions I resonate with and look forward to seeing how we both decide on the answers we like the best.

I'm on my phone so I can't give full thoughts easily. My first thought was what is your experience level with the hobby? If it's something you know you are serious about and you have the money, build what you want the first time. If this setup is built to last the long haul I would prioritize functionality. I have been brewing a decade, the process doesn't really excite me anymore, I want it to go smoothly with minimal exertion. For me that means using pumps and making my kettles capable if tipping to easily clean and clear the grains.

For some of your questions, I greatly prefer triclover, much easier to deal with and clean. I have bottom ports on both my HLT and MT simply to make draining them out easier. I don't use a sparge arm, I am considering it. But I do have a herms system so it does recirculate. I think adding the sparge arm would reduce channeling.

Finally, join a brew club or two and ask folks to brew on their rigs with them and get some solid practical knowledge of what designs will work the best for you.

@Bensiff -- I would love to build what I really want the first time. Thing is, I really want to build a setup with three kettles, 2 pumps, HERMS, all PID controlled temps, Tri-Clover, stainless everything.... That is just more than I can stomach as I cant see doing that, even with Keggels for less than 1500-2000 even with eBay shopping and taking my time to source things cheap.

I am really leaning toward E-BIAB right now because I can do all grain and have some of what I want long term. I am thinking if I build it right I will be able to transfer all my parts over to the ideal system as I get more into this hobby and allocate the funds for it.

With an E-BIAB in a keggle do I need a false bottom? Should I plan to put the pickup tube in the bottom of the dip or somewhat up the side to avoid getting trub, I would think a hop sock would help reduce that.

I read about lots of people having trouble holding mash temp with a keg. am I able to use the heating element to hold my temps during mash and if so any suggestions on keeping the heat even from the top to bottom of the grains?

I would like to join a brew club very much. I am not sure how to find a local club. All I found was one that used to be run by my LHBS but they went out of business the end of last month.

Latest posts

Back