Help converting my boil controller...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gross_coffee

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just was wondering if anyone could give me a quick how to on how to run a new cable to my boil controller to replace the existing 10-30 cable. We moved recently and the premade controller I had bought is wired for 10-30 and my new home has a 14-30 outlet that I would like to use on a GFI protected 30 amp breaker.

I'm attaching a wiring diagram that I quickly threw together that shows how the boil controller is currently wired. Any help would be great!
Current Boil Controller Wiring Diagram.jpg

I guess a simplified version of my question would be - could I get away with running all the lines from my 14-30 cable in and wiring hots in the same fashion, then simply capping the neutral wire after it comes into my controller?

Last edited:
I guess a simplified version of my question would be - could I get away with running all the lines from my 14-30 cable in and wiring hots in the same fashion, then simply capping the neutral wire after it comes into my controller?

Yes, this is what you are basically doing. You would just be using the two hots and the ground and leaving the neutral disconnected (capped).

You could also just replace the plug on the cord with a 14-30 plug, leaving the neutral blade un-connected. Your GFCI will still work correctly.

Brew on :mug:

You could also just replace the plug on the cord with a 14-30 plug, leaving the neutral blade un-connected. Your GFCI will still work correctly.

Oh man. Every now and then you have one of those, "why didnt I think of that?" moments... Thanks, that's the route I'll go.

Dont sweat having the "why didnt i think of that" moment. When i saw this thread i immediately started typing out......"why dont you just leave the neutral leg unconnected. Should work fine", but then second guessed myself and didnt want you to hurt yourself, so i left it alone and deleted the response lol brew on!

Probably should add: this is dependent on the GFCI breaker being upstream of the four slot receptacle.

Back