HELP!!! Christmas party kegging emergency!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celticinnbrewery

Reaction score
Hi all. I am brand new to kegging (just got my kegging equipment today) and want to get a batch of Christmas homebrew in there, carbed up and ready to go by Saturday night for a party at my house. I wont be able to get the beer in the keg till Wednesday evening at the soonest. I was planning on just putting the keg outside in ice for the party (i live in Pittsburgh and its 20 - 30° outside). 1) is it possible to get the beer carbed in time; 2) How; 3) should i carb it up in my basement then take it outside on Saturday sometime or just do everything outside from the start?

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated!

~ CIB

Search for force carbonation. It is possible, just crank to 30 PSI from Wed to Sat and you should be ok. It will be a little "green", but will be drinkable.

raouliii said:
IMO, make sure you have about 10' of 3/16" id serving line between the keg and tap.

I have read this 10' of hose thing before from many places. When i ordered my kegerator
Conversion kit it came with 5 feet of 3/16 hose. At 12 psi and close to freezing it pours quickly with a perfect amount of head. Just like if i was at a bar.

I will be taking my kegs to a New Years party. I am going to see what the difference between 5 and 10 is.

celticinnbrewery said:
Hi all. I am brand new to kegging (just got my kegging equipment today) and want to get a batch of Christmas homebrew in there, carbed up and ready to go by Saturday night for a party at my house. I wont be able to get the beer in the keg till Wednesday evening at the soonest. I was planning on just putting the keg outside in ice for the party (i live in Pittsburgh and its 20 - 30° outside). 1) is it possible to get the beer carbed in time; 2) How; 3) should i carb it up in my basement then take it outside on Saturday sometime or just do everything outside from the start? Any advice is GREATLY appreciated! ~ CIB

Better to carb while the beer is cold. It absorbs more quickly. I would leave it at 30 PSI until Friday night. Bleed of pressure from keg. Set to serving pressure. I guess 10 or 12 then pour yourself a pint to see what the head is like and if it is carbed enough. You don't want to over carb or you will be pouring your friends half foam beers. If it tastes just a little under carbed I'd play on the safe side and leave it at serving pressure. If it is very under carbed crank back up to 30.

When i force carb i always leave for 48 hours on 30 then about 3 days at 12 and it is perfectly carbed. This is when the beer is already cold.

Back