Help break down a recipe pls.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeadFarmer

Reaction score
Hi i am new and not planning to make this recipe yet still getting equipment i just need to know what ingredients do you sparge when to sparge and what is the mash sorry for such noob questions.

Mojave Red
Efficiency at 80% for a OG of 1.060
hopville . "Mojave Red" American Amber Ale Recipe

82% 8lb 4oz American Two-row
5% 8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (Franco Belges 80L is best)
5% 8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
5% 8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
2% 3 oz Melanoidin Malt
1% 2 oz Carafa II special
0% 1/2 oz Roasted Barley - 550L
Mashed at ~152
60 mins 1.0oz Palisades pellet 8.1
20 mins .5oz Sterling leaf 7.0
10 mins .5oz Willamette leaf 4.5
Rehydrated pack of US-05
Dry hop 7 days .5oz Cascade leaf 7.0
Carbonated to 2.5 volumes

Do you have the equipment to do all grain beer?

The mash converts the starches in the milled grain into sugar. It requires the grain to sit in water at a given temperature, here 152, for a length of time. It looks like this is a single infusion mash, so you need to add enough water (around 1.25 qts/lb) at a temperature hot enough that it will sit at 152 with the grains. The water temperature depends on your equipment and whether or not it is preheated.

You sparge with 170-180F water at the end of the mash. After you have drained the initial water, you sparge -- rinse -- the remaining sugar off the grains by added more water, stirring, and draining the sparge water out. The combination of mash runnings and sparge runnings will give you the boil volume. The amount of water you need to sparge is the boil volume less the volume collected from the mash runnings.

so the sparge and the mash together should total out to 5 gallons right?

Well, actually you will need to collect more than five gallons. You will have some wort evaporate during the boil. Usually about a gallon an hour on my setup, but ymmv. So at least sex gallons, plus some hop loss, so about six and a half to seven gallons total. Good luck!

ah okay is there a way i can figure out the water i am gone need for this recipe also thanks ya all for the help.

Well, figure about 1.25 to 1/2 Quarts strike water per pound of grain. Figure about .3 quarts of absorption per pound of grain, Then figure out how much sparge water you will need to collect 6 or 7 gallons. So off hand by your recipe,
I would say 14.5 quarts strike water to mash, and 17 quarts for your sparge water. Just in my head though, so check the math

ah okay is there a way i can figure out the water i am gone need for this recipe also thanks ya all for the help.

Figure 1.5qts/lb for the mash so that is 12.75 qts for the mash

Then a safe bet would be 4 gallons for the sparge. It really depends on how much wort you get out of your first runnings. You are using a little over 3 gallons to mash with, but after grain absorbtion, and mash tun dead space, you may only end up getting 2 to 2.5 gallons out of wort out of it. That leave you to sparge with 4 to 5 gallons of water. You collect a total of 6 to 6.5 gallons (depending on how much wort you think you will lose to boil evap, cooling evap, and trub) to net you 5 gallons into the fermenter.

Hope this helps.

cool i think i got it figured now thinks all ask more questions if i can think of them lol oh yah When do you add the hops for Dry hopping?

You can add the dry hops after the fermentation has settled down, otherwise all those beautiful hop aromas that you get from dry hopping will be driven off by the co2.

If you plan on using a secondary fermenter, dry hop once you rack to it. If your not planning on using one, you can still dry hop in the primary but like I said wait until the fermentation is settled down (at least 1 week, I'd wait 2)

Back