Help Adding Flavor to Pale Ale Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gold_Robber

Reaction score
Hi

I have a grain bill for a pale ale that looks great but after a couple of months in the bottle, there is little to no grain taste - it's bland and boring.

What could I do or add, grain-wise, to have this brew a little more flavorful? I just want to work on the grains.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Maris Otter - 85%
Munich 5-6L - 10%
C40 -5%

That looks like it would be pretty nice! Tell us about the rest of the recipe, and your process. Bottle conditioned? Forced carbed in a keg then bottled? Is it carbonated, and if so enough/not enough? What yeast?

What yeast did you use? I've done 100% MO beers and had great malty flavor. However, I've had some english yeast (1968, I think) that really changed the beer when I bottled. At bottling, the beer tasted great. After carbonation (on the low side) it got thin and lost the malt character.

That grain bill should be nice and malty.

For more reading on wyeast 1968 issues: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/wyeast-1968-you-test-my-patience-child-233139/

Using the more flavorful MO base malt is a good choice. You could also consider adding in a darker non-crystal character malt. For example, Sierra Nevada has a very noticeable toast note, which you can imitate by adding some (say, 5-10%) biscuit or victory. It's a good way to add character without getting the sweetness or the sweet flavors associated with crystal malts (caramel, raisin, etc).

The other thing is that simple, not-too-strong beers often fall off after a few months. Did you store it cold, or at room temperature?

I agree the grain bill looks quite flavorful.

Some more questions... What was your OG andFG? Did you hit your numbers?

I am at work and cant remember the hop schedule. I will answer that question tonight. I also cant remember the OG and FG off the top of my head. Later tonight again. I live on the west coast of Canada.. PST

I bottle conditioned using DME light.

I dont like biscuit malt much. I try and avoid it.

I stored it at room temperature. I live in a small apartment so no cold spaces during the summer time.

I used S-05 yeast

OK...home and opened Beersmith:

OG 1.052

FG 1.008

The carbonation was good...perhaps a little high, but a nice pillow(esque) head all the way down with lovely lacing.

Dont know what else I can say.

Did you measure your actual OG & FG? One theory could be your OG was really low and you made a real thin, small beer, which would explain the low flavor.

Did you measure your actual OG & FG? One theory could be your OG was really low and you made a real thin, small beer, which would explain the low flavor.

Mine is measured with a hydrometer. They were not estimates.

If you want a maltier flavor, maybe you need to make a brown or a porter and give that a try.

You could go with a darker crystal, maybe 60 or 80, or Cara-Munich. You could also try mashing higher so you don't attenuate as much, or just increase the grain amounts and get the OG up a bit.

You could go with a darker crystal, maybe 60 or 80, or Cara-Munich. You could also try mashing higher so you don't attenuate as much, or just increase the grain amounts and get the OG up a bit.

Never used cara-munich before. Do you used it often in your beers?

Honestly, I read the thread title and the first thing that popped into my head was "You could put some MO in there..."

I got nothin'.

I didn't see your actual grain weights, only your percentages and OG and FG... Perhaps you have an extraordinarily efficient process and your fermentables went through the roof...

What temp did you mash at? If you mashed really low, it could be you ultimately produced a thinner, higher ABV beer.

Honestly, I read the thread title and the first thing that popped into my head was "You could put some MO in there..."

I got nothin'.

I didn't see your actual grain weights, only your percentages and OG and FG... Perhaps you have an extraordinarily efficient process and your fermentables went through the roof...

What temp did you mash at? If you mashed really low, it could be you ultimately produced a thinner, higher ABV beer.

Mashed at 156*F for 60 min.

My efficiency runs at 78% on average. Back at work now, so I am unsure of total grain weight.

Never used cara-munich before. Do you used it often in your beers?

I only use it one beer, and not that often, but it seems to bring a lot to the table. Although, I will say that in this particular beer I do use Vienna as the base malt. According to Beer Smith Cara-Munich is 56 Lovibond. I use a 1/2lb in my recipe along with a 1/2lb of 40L. This beer tends to take on a bit of an Oktoberfest/Marzen character.

I only use it one beer, and not that often, but it seems to bring a lot to the table. Although, I will say that in this particular beer I do use Vienna as the base malt. According to Beer Smith Cara-Munich is 56 Lovibond. I use a 1/2lb in my recipe along with a 1/2lb of 40L. This beer tends to take on a bit of an Oktoberfest/Marzen character.

Sounds great. I'll do a bit of research. Thanks.

I too like Vienna but have never used it as a base for my brews. Perhaps I should give it a try.

Forgot to ask..how much Vienna do you use and what size batch? Thanks again

Sounds great. I'll do a bit of research. Thanks.

I too like Vienna but have never used it as a base for my brews. Perhaps I should give it a try.

If you're interested here is the recipe I use it in, doesn't really fit a specific style but produces a pretty tasty beer, 5.5 Gallon Batch...

9 1/2 lbs Vienna
1/2 lb Cara-Munich
1/2 lb 40l

Mash at 151*
OG 1.059 FG 1.013

Wyeast 2565 Kolsch Yeast, Can't remember what temp I fermented at, but I think it was closer to 60*, definitely not over 65*. I suppose if I used a Lager Yeast in this it would be a Marzen.

For hops I used Magnum & Motueka, but I doesn't really matter, IBU's between 30-40 should work well.

If you're interested here is the recipe I use it in, doesn't really fit a specific style but produces a pretty tasty beer, 5.5 Gallon Batch...

9 1/2 lbs Vienna
1/2 lb Cara-Munich
1/2 lb 40l

Mash at 151*
OG 1.059 FG 1.013

Wyeast 2565 Kolsch Yeast, Can't remember what temp I fermented at, but I think it was closer to 60*, definitely not over 65*. I suppose if I used a Lager Yeast in this it would be a Marzen.

For hops I used Magnum & Motueka, but I doesn't really matter, IBU's between 30-40 should work well.

Great. Much appreciated.

Back