Help Added Pectic Enzyme before yeast, no fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ITV

Reaction score
I made a mistake and added pectic enzyme before the yeast and now I can't get the yeast to start fermentation. Even after pitching new yeast (twice). Any tricks to salvage my batch of cider?

Pectic enzyme is always added before the yeast, and it does not impact yeast activity at all.

If the cider isn't fermenting, it could be because of preservatives in the juice or something else. What kind of apple juice did you use, and what else did you add?

I have made this cider recipe many times before and I had to put a blow off on the fermenter. This time there is no activity in the airlock. I use 4 gal of Costco apple juice, 3 qts of tart cherry juice, 1 1/2 lb of sugar and 1 1/2 l honey. OG: 1.070.

24 hours before pitching yeast I added 5 tsp Camden, prior to pitching yeast I added 2 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme and 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient and 60 sec 0.5 l/min of O2.

Gravity hasn't changed, the only thing I did different this time is add the pectic enzyme prior to pitching the yeast, I normally add it at kegging.

Campden comes in powder form? I've only known tabs, but admittingly haven't looked. Or you mean something like k-meta?

If its the latter, I thought the rate was .25tsp/gal. Dose would be 1.25tsp.

Yes - as above - your issue is the large number of Campden tablets. Pectinase is not the issue. The addition of pectinase prior to, during or after fermentation will not give you any problem. Five campden is what has stalled your fermentation. Don't panic. It will start. It may just take at least a week ( worse case two weeks ) to kick in and you may also need to re-seed your fruit with another sachet of yeast.

The dosage for campden powder is something like 1/4 tsp for 6 gallons. You can try to stir, stir, stir, stir, stir for a few days to see if it will dissipate, but I would doubt you can get this to ferment.

Wine yeast is generally tolerant of sulfites, and that's why it's used, but you overdosed by about 50 times I think.

Correction, I used 5 tsp of sodium metabisulfite (1 tsp per gallon) which is what I used successfully on previous batches of cider. I don't know if that dosage is different than campden tablets.

Correction, I used 5 tsp of sodium metabisulfite (1 tsp per gallon) which is what I used successfully on previous batches of cider. I don't know if that dosage is different than campden tablets.

Yes, you use 1 crushed tablet per gallon, but for the powder, the dosage is much much less. I'm surprised you used the Na-meta successfully before at that dosage.

If you stir vigorously often, you may get some of it to dissipate, but I wouldn't hold out hope.

The dosage I know if is 1/4 tsp per 6 gallons pre-fermentation.

Thanks for all the replies, I may try dosing with wine yeast after hitting it with my stir wand.

Mental note, cut way back on the Na-metra.

I dunno what sodium metabisulfite is, we use potassium metabisulfite and as Yooper said the typical dose is only 1/4 tsp for 5-6 gallons. Campden tablets are also K-meta and they have some inert filler that allows them to be used in smaller batches, 1 tablet per gallon.

Na-meta is as common as k-meta, and they are used interchangeably. The only difference is one has sodium and one has potassium. For sodium sensitive people or people on a low sodium diet for health reasons, k-meta is more commonly used.

Thanks for all the replies, I may try dosing with wine yeast after hitting it with my stir wand.

Mental note, cut back on the Na-metra.
That should work. If it doesn't - do not throw it out. All is still good. Your batch is momentarily frozen in time and sanitized. Keep stirring each day then again try to trigger fermentation with yet another dose of yeast. I had a similar thing happen in February. I threw in a lot of k- meta to neutralise a wild yeast. I ended up going through three sachets in the end before the pear juice started to ferment.

Back