Hello! New in Madison, WI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanjbrowne

Reaction score
Hello HBT folks!

Excited to be newly in Madison, WI; excited to get back to brewing after *NOT* brewing in Alabama, no, oh no, not me, because that would be against the law down there; just generally excited!

Thanks!

R

Welcome to the forums, and welcome to Madison! Soon you'll even be able to take your beer outside your house. ;)

I am shocked by the weather so far! Planning to brew every weekend for the foreseeable future.

On that note, where's the best place to refill propane in Madison?

Madison Recharging Services at 2237 Winnebago Street is hands down the best. They can usually refill while you wait, and it's dirt cheap.

EDIT: Oops! For some reason I read it as CO2. I don't think these guys do propane.

Welcome from Milwaukee (and from a from a former Langdon St. dweller!)

Madison Recharging Services at 2237 Winnebago Street is hands down the best. They can usually refill while you wait, and it's dirt cheap.

+1 to that. $10 for a 10-lb cylinder refill, while I waited.

Welcome to the Madison area! You're in luck - Farmhouse is only a ~30-35 minute drive away for their retail storefront. There's also Brew n Grow and the Wine and Hop shop, but John's prices down in Janesville are worth the drive.

ryanjbrowne said:
I am shocked by the weather so far! Planning to brew every weekend for the foreseeable future.

On that note, where's the best place to refill propane in Madison?

Welcome! Lots of local choices for homebrew supplies.

I get my propane tank filled at Mounds Pet Store off of Verona Road. Something like $20 for a 20 lb tank. I don't know if it's the best but they fill it while you wait.

And you probably already know this, but the Vintage Brewing Co. is awesome. Hands down the best brewpub I've ever been too.

The standard brewpub brews (oatmeal stout, IPA, wheat, etc.) are outstanding and those guys make beer nerd brews too like RIS, a Flemish Barleywine, if you can believe that, and lots of other really cool brews. 2 locations - one by campus and another somewhere out ... someplace. I don't know where the other one is. Cheers!

Welcome, also from Madison! Just started brewing, myself. I've noticed a LOT of brewers introduce themseleves from Wisconsin, which is awesome!

I'd also have to agree that Vintage is a great restaurant. Lots of good beers to try, and they're usually cooking up something new here and there as a seasonal or limited edition. Burgers are tasty, too!

jcdouglas, seems I have to be pretty close to you. We go to Mounds for pet supplies. I keep forgetting they do propane refills...

I get my propane tank filled at Mounds Pet Store off of Verona Road. Something like $20 for a 20 lb tank. I don't know if it's the best but they fill it while you wait.
I go there too. There's another one on Highway 14 just outside Middleton that'll do it too if you're on the west side. A much better deal than the exchange system a lot of places have.

JonM, the other Vintage location is on Whitney Way near Odana. The old JT Whitney's building.

Welcome from Milwaukee! Now that we can once again transport home brew outside of the home legally in WI we should set up some trades with other home brewers in the state.

I go there too. There's another one on Highway 14 just outside Middleton that'll do it too if you're on the west side. A much better deal than the exchange system a lot of places have.

JonM, the other Vintage location is on Whitney Way near Odana. The old JT Whitney's building.

Thanks to all the replies RE: Propane refill.

Haven't been to Vintage yet (the closest to me would be Whitney Way), but perhaps this might be a place that would be amenable to a Home Brew Club meeting every so often--as WIBeerGeek suggests (even tho he is in Milwaukee)?

If you're looking for a brew club, there's the Madison Homebrewers and Tasters Guild at http://www.mhtg.org/. I've been meaning to check them out, but I can never seem to get away on Wednesday evenings.

And the Ale Asylum Brewery somewhere on the north side (I think?) and the Tyranena Brewery just west of town. These are actual breweries rather than brewpubs.

Back