Hello from VT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScootersAle

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just started homebrewing. As a recent transplant to VT from the MD/VA/DC area, I was inspired but all the great beers and beer culture in VT to try my hand at brewing.

I'm on my 3rd batch now which is a DIPA and it seems to be going great so far. My first brew was a Witbier that turned out very odd, where is was way too dark, but still very good. I'm thinking that my local homebrew store sent me in the wrong direction. So I decided to go with some kits online instead for my next batch(es). My next batch was the Maple Dark Ale from Midwest. Sadly due to an error in judgement on my part when putting the grains in the muslin bag it ripped a little and I lost about 1/2 the grain. I decided to brew anyways and the beer didn't come out that great. I just bottled it and it doesn't taste bad, just really tastes like nothing and both the SG and OG were way off. I'm going to sit on it for a month or 2 and if I see zero improvement I'll probably just dump it. With the 3rd batch everything went perfect; I got my temps right, didn't spill anything important, got my OG exactly. I'm excited to try out dry hopping with this batch.

Going to do a few more extract batches and then try to move up to partial mashing and I'm gonna need another refrigerator! :mug:

Welcome from the south of the state!

And just a comment regarding your Witbier being too dark, it may have been a result of caramelization of sugars... if you were doing a partial boil, remember your wort is quite concentrated, and if you don't give it a stir from time to time, the heavy sugars can sink to the bottom of the kettle and get caramelized from the heat.

Latest posts

Back