Hello from Maryland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeuristicsInc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, I'm living in Maryland (Ellicott City) but originally from Buffalo NY.
I came here via Google while searching for info on what's wrong with my auto-siphon.
Years ago I made a couple of brews but got out of the habit around when I got married etc. Recently I decided to try it again and brewed up a new batch (Oktoberfest - but it was March so I called it Marzfest). Unfortunately I lost my concentration and had a boil-over, which got sticky stuff onto the pots & pans below. I thought my wife wasn't going to let me do it any more... but she loved the Oktoberfest so much she said I should do some more. So I had a stout kit that I found, replaced the yeast and the hops and brewed that up. Turned out nice, so I most recently brewed a Pale Ale which is in secondary right now. Looking forward to trying some (extract + grains) recipes from your forums.
-bill

There is a bunch of us former Buffalonians down here in the DMV! I had a boil over on a tiny batch of Mead last week, my wife is still angry!

Boil overs are bad here, as the stove is not on top of the oven but is a flat range on the counter and the pots and pans are beneath. We had to re-wash everything!
Yeah, Maryland Homebrew, it's a great store, I think. Although it's the only one I've been to. They're very helpful there.
-bill

Boil overs are bad here, as the stove is not on top of the oven but is a flat range on the counter and the pots and pans are beneath. We had to re-wash everything!
Yeah, Maryland Homebrew, it's a great store, I think. Although it's the only one I've been to. They're very helpful there.
-bill

Welcome Bill,

I also live in Ellicott City in the Hebron area. Maryland Homebrew is a great store especially if you ever go all-grain. There bulk prices can't be beat around here.

If you use BeerSmith 2, I have gone through MDHB's pricing, and updated the inventory for hops & grain pricing in them if you would be interested I can send you the xml so you can import them.

I'm also living in Ellicott City (Dunloggin) and new to home brewing. Maryland Homebrew is a great shop when you catch the right person working. If you guys ever want to trade beers- let me know. I'd love to share some IPA I just finished up as I'm looking for feedback. I'm also open to sample what you have. :mug:

Travis.

I've never used a program like BeerSmith. Is it worthwhile for somebody not doing mashes?
I'd be open to a get-together at some point - schedule permitting.
-bill

I'm also living in Ellicott City (Dunloggin) and new to home brewing. Maryland Homebrew is a great shop when you catch the right person working. If you guys ever want to trade beers- let me know. I'd love to share some IPA I just finished up as I'm looking for feedback. I'm also open to sample what you have. :mug:

Travis.

Sure thing. I by all means don't know everything, but I've learned a lot over the past few years and am happy to share what I know with anyone willing to listen.

I currently have 5+ different beers to share including 10 gallons of AG Bavarian Hefeweizen which I'm about to keg along with my house IPA, Amber and a year old Oud Bruin.

I've never used a program like BeerSmith. Is it worthwhile for somebody not doing mashes?
-bill

For $25 bucks its worth it. It's more useful for AG but there's still value when making your own extract recipes. Plus it helps with "knowing "your gear for things like boil off rate and adjusting gravity.

Travis.

This thread caught my eye. I lived on Spring Meadow Drive in Ellicott City (Dunloggin) when I was in Kindergarten! Didn't know what beer was then. LOL!

-bill

I think it is worth it. It is a convenient way to save and store recipes, as well as learn about different ingredients etc. I also keep notes and refine recipes in there, and I find that it is easier. I also use it to print out shopping lists and etc.
I did use it when I was doing extract to formulate a Weizen IPA, which came out pretty good.

It also allows you to track the prices of items etc, and I have gone through MDHB and taken the prices they have and imported them into BeerSmith so i know what kind of expense I am looking at instead of going all willy-nilly in the store.

This thread caught my eye. I lived on Spring Meadow Drive in Ellicott City (Dunloggin) when I was in Kindergarten! Didn't know what beer was then. LOL!

Small world. My best friend has a house at the end of Spring Meadow- right up the hill. I often walk there because I own a house a few hundred yards away on Chatham Rd. It's a great community! Did you live here long?

I went to MICA a few years back and now live about an hour away. I've got family up in fells point too.

I've been wondering how useful these programs were for someone doing extract and partial mash recipes. The value seems limited when I have a free app for android that does the basics. Dialing in my equipment does seem like a great advantage though.

I went to MICA a few years back and now live about an hour away. I've got family up in fells point too.

I've been wondering how useful these programs were for someone doing extract and partial mash recipes. The value seems limited when I have a free app for android that does the basics. Dialing in my equipment does seem like a great advantage though.

I found most of the value in recipe formulation, as well as figuring out how to do it with my equipment.

There is like a 20 day free trial of it.

Back