Hello from Harrisburg PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relax

Reaction score
Hello, just got into home brewing after wanting to do this for many years. Been reading How to Brew along with Joy of Homebrewing and also reading many great posts on this site along with some good YouTube videos and Podcasts.

I decided to skip extracts and jumped right into all grain using the BIAB method and have two 3 gallon batches under my belt. Wish I had started this sooner now that I know what involved.

Looking forward to continuously learning and brewing some great homebrew!

Cheers,

Relax
:)

Thanks, and yes both batches seemed to have gone ok so far (both fermenters bubbling away). Like anything else in life though, the best teacher is always experience, one of the reasons I opted to start with 3 gallon batches instead of 5. I figured double the brewing time can't hurt.

Also started playing around with beersmith, that software is awesome. Still getting used to all its bells and whistles but I like what I see so far.

Welcome to the hobby, and the group, from CO :mug:

BIAB small batch is a great way to start. You will learn all the important techniques in beer making, and if a batch goes wrong, you didn't waste much money.

Welcome aboard! Good to see another Central Pennsylvanian. And congrats on making the leap into brewing.

Cheers!

Welcome Aboard !

I think that the actual process of fermentation is where all the action is - and whether you are an extract brewer or all grain brewer is secondary to your fermentation techniques. Consider learning how to make yeast starters and review "Mr Malty" (website) to learn more about fermentation.

I grew up in PA (graduate of PSU '81) & have been living in CO for nearly 25 years.

Best of Luck with your brewing !

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm a PSU grad in 2003 myself.
There is definitely a lot to be learned, so far i'm happy to have found a spot in my basement that maintains a consistent temp of 64 degrees and have only used dry yeast (Nottingham and Safale US-05). I have not even re-hydrated my yeast, let alone make starters so that should give you an indication of my skill level.

I'll check out Mr. Malty, that's one of the sites I have not yet ventured into yet.

Thanks!

A Johnstown Pa brewer here, welcome to our community...good choice on AG right out of the gate

Latest posts

Back