Hello From eastern PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyCarpenter

Reaction score
I'm from the lansdale area in between philly and allentown. Lucky to have a huge craft beer scene all around and I am a die hard IPA drinker. My girlfriend is big into pilsner and and pale ales and my goal is to come up with great brews for each of us.

Obviously I'm a complete newb so I am going to begin looking into what kit or equipment to buy to best fit my needs.

Welcome! Brewing is great. I suggest starting simple with extract kits or established recipes. For an extract/steeping grains kit you don't need much more than a pasta pot, bucket fermenter and bottle capper. Study and practice will yield great beer.

I'm from the lansdale area in between philly and allentown. Lucky to have a huge craft beer scene all around and I am a die hard IPA drinker. My girlfriend is big into pilsner and and pale ales and my goal is to come up with great brews for each of us.

Obviously I'm a complete newb so I am going to begin looking into what kit or equipment to buy to best fit my needs.

I was born in Allentown and moved to L A when I was 11. I also lived there for 3 1/2 years in my early 20s.
There was no craft beer scene in those days. I worked as a temp at the Schafer brewery in Fogelsville for several weeks. I believe the brewery is now owned by Sam Adams.

Outstanding lhbs near by. Keystone located near Montgomeryville. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Keystone's phenomenal. My dad did some homebrewing when I was a kid and he got all of his stuff there.

I moved to Australia almost 5 years ago but whenever I visit my parents (they live near Norristown) I always make sure to visit Keystone to pick up small things that I can't get or are way overpriced in Oz.

Good luck!

Awesome keystone brewing is definitely local thanks for the tip! I was going to do 5 gallon batches. Do i need a 5 gallon stainless pot? I already have a 3 gallon one

Awesome keystone brewing is definitely local thanks for the tip! I was going to do 5 gallon batches. Do i need a 5 gallon stainless pot? I already have a 3 gallon one

If you're going to start with extract, you can use the 3 gallon pot and add top-up water to the fermenter. If you want to start with all-grain, you'll want at least a 6 gallon pot for 5 gallon batches.

Do some research but don't be scared to just play around and find out what works best for you.

Back