Hello everyone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Nie

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone can share their opinion if they believe this might be mold forming or is it just the 2nd scoby in its early development. This is my second batch that I am working on which during the first time i was not watching to see how it was forming but instead left it alone.

I have noticed this started to form around day 10. The first few days i had left it in a dark closet untouched but I believe it was to cold so the process took much longer. I then decided to take it downstairs into my living room which is near many plants and my mother who smokes in the kitchen. I placed it next to the air vent as I figured the heat would bring the temperature up for faster ferment. This might give some extra information.

Finally if this is mold I did notice it was forming but small amounts right before bottling for 2nd ferment. Would those be safe to drink as I am on day 2 of 3 which i plan to put into the refrigerator. Thank you.
IMG_2077.jpg
IMG_2079.jpg

Looks to me like the start of a new Scoby on the surface since your other one is now sunk below the surface. Mine usually look like that when I grow brand new ones. I find 22 degrees Celsius to be the sweet spot for balanced growth of yeast vs. bacteria.

Back