Hello everyone!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spddmn6

I love the smell of mash in the morning.
Reaction score
Kinda newish to homebrew. Have made a few Mr. Beer extra batches with ok results. I determined that if I wanted to make beer I wanted to do all grain and I was going to need a feremention chamber to regulate this irregular NW climate. After some time of piecing together all my parts, I have brewed my first batch (Irish Red). Tomorrow I am bottling that batch. Learned a lesson or two in the process as well. Mostly about gravity chgs at diff temps. Now I know how to calculate the extra water I will need due to losses. Considering my 5 gals is more like 4 right now. It is a fun process and I have lots to learn.

Some details about my setup:
10 gallon kettle and hop basket, 10 gallon pastic mash tun w/ false bottom, 30 plate chiller in conjunction with/ thrumometer, big mouth bubbler fermenters 6.5 gal & 5 gal, cam locked lines, chest freezer ferment chamber w/ temperature controller setup I wired up, stainless steel cart on castor wheels to move and store all my gear.

Quick question:

After cleaning your kettles or tanks do you dry them? I pulled the lid off my mash tun and got a unpleasant smell which I believe to be from residual water maybe doing something with the lid on it. I soaked and scrubbed/wiped using PBW to do it. Just wondering if this is normal or did I do a crap job cleaning?

What do you do to dispose of your yeast cake?

IMG_20180221_125830008.jpg
IMG_20180219_183123694.jpg
IMG_20180118_180921081.jpg
IMG_20180118_182713371.jpg
IMG_20180118_182648339.jpg

Hello! Very nice starter rig for all grain! It took me a couple of years to work up to that level.

I have never done more than a very thorough rinse with a garden hose spray nozzle. If you get rid of the sugars, there's not much for critters to live on. However, things must be very, very dry before you store them, especially mash tuns, since they don't see high temps. I usually wait a week before I put lids on.

I see you have a three piece ball valve on your BK. I have one also, after finding a colony of something awful living in my old one. I turned the bolts around to make disassembly easier, but it looks like you have plenty of room.

Hello! Very nice starter rig for all grain! It took me a couple of years to work up to that level.

I have never done more than a very thorough rinse with a garden hose spray nozzle. If you get rid of the sugars, there's not much for critters to live on. However, things must be very, very dry before you store them, especially mash tuns, since they don't see high temps. I usually wait a week before I put lids on.

I see you have a three piece ball valve on your BK. I have one also, after finding a colony of something awful living in my old one. I turned the bolts around to make disassembly easier, but it looks like you have plenty of room.
Thank for the advice. I will dry and/or wait to cover. Had a feeling that might be the source.

Latest posts

Back