Hello Everyone!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kythcat

Reaction score
Hello all, finally decided to join after lurking for a few months now. A bit of a background, I'm a divorced mother of 5 kids, grandmother to 3 grandchildren, and kind of had an interest in maybe brewing. I've not been one to drink beer mainly for the fact that all the beer I've ever tried (almost all the national brands) always seem to have a salty taste to me. Not the slight taste, but a "1 cup of salt to a 12oz can" salt taste.

I came to these boards to hopefully learn how to brew a "sweet beer"-- if there is such a thing, and what really lured me here was making homemade soda. Now several of you members have me drooling over converting a fridge so I can have carbed water on tap for my family.

Any pointers anyone care to give? Or at least a starting board for the "sweet beer"? Maybe throw a dictionary at me so I can learn some of the brewing terms?

Welcome to Home Brew Talk and to the adventure of home brewing. Look in the Recipe Database under stout. Oatmeal Stout, Chocolate Cherry Stout, are what come to my mind. These are called sweet stouts because they have a "malty" sweetness to them... not a sugar sweet, very different from a sugar sweet. It is a grainy earthy sweetness. I am particularly fond of Oatmeal Stout mostly for the rich roasted flavor of the dark malts in it. Other sweet beers in the recipe database could be some of the fruit beers, like a cherry wheat, or blueberry bomb are a couple. I would recommend getting a kit from one of the online vendors you can find in the Vendor List.

Good Luck!

Welcome! Sweet beers are definitely something you can brew and is what I prefer as well, so... *fist pump* Anyway, sweet beers can brewed in a wide range of styles, but some styles lend themselves better to being sweet. As BrewerinBR said, stouts are a good choice and in fact, there is a specific style called sweet stout. Chocolate stout is the classic sweet stout, but there is a world of possibilities with stouts alone, not to mention all the other beer styles. If you want to try a good example of a sweet stout, pick yourself up a bottle or can of Young's Double Chocolate Stout, you won't be disappointed. Before you brew, I recommend you pick yourself up a book on brewing. There are many to choose from, but the standards are How to Brew by John Palmer and The Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Charlie Papazian. I personally started with How to Brew so I am biased, but you should do right by either one. If you have any questions, everyone here is more than willing to help you out. I know they did when I was starting out. Good luck in your brewing adventures! :mug:

Latest posts

Back