Hello all

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magicjeep

Reaction score
I'm just getting into this whole homebrew hobby, like I need something else for my wife to yell at me about. I've brewed a few extract kit beers many years ago, 20 or so, and recently I just brewed my first all grain Zombie dust clone. I haven't tried it yet since I bottled it last weekend, I'm hoping to crack one open on Saturday with my beer snob brother in law.

I'm actually looking for some ideas for a beer (recipe or just a style to jump off of) to brew for my annual summer pig roast. I was thinking a pilsner but after a little research it looks a little above my skills and equipment. My original thinking was an IPA but not everyone likes the big hop flavors. I'm looking for something light, crisp, and easy drinking.

A lot of the guests bring beers like coors lite, miller lite.... but I'm looking for something with a little more flavor.

Any help you guys and girls can throw my way is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Centennial Blonde is a good one. Do a 10 gallon batch. In one carboy add a few extra hops and you're good to go.
Welcome.

Welcome to the forum! I would look into maybe making a Wheat Beer. I find that many of my friends who are not into the craft beers seem to really like a wheat beer I brew or bring.

IPAs tend to scare people away sometimes, but I have some friends who have started to like them as they have tasted the ones I have brewed. A Pale Ale is another good choice I would say. Maybe do a smaller bittering addition and more at the end of the boil, flameout/whirlpool and dry hopping.

There are many lighter beers that can please a light beer drinker if they are willing to try something just a little bit different. I like a good witbier when it gets warmer out (or even in the winter...) Blue Moon Clone is a good one IMO. It's basically 50% 2-row (or Pilsner if you want it to look lighter) and 50% Flaked wheat. Add some oats if you like, 1 ounce or so of EKG, .75 ounce fresh orange zest and .75 ounce Coriander. Adjust to taste after your first batch. I prefer variety, so I sometimes add more or less depending on my tastes at the moment.

Ferment with either a Belgian Wit Yeast if you want it to taste more authentic, or use a clean American yeast if you want a Blue Moon type flavor. That's what I call an American Wit.

If you really want to brew a light beer, they can be tricky. They are generally Lagers, and traditionally require some form of temperature control during fermentation. Much more so than with Ale yeasts, which are usually be fermented a bit higher. Lagers are so clean tasting that it's easy to taste less things resulting from a less than perfect process. Not that it can't be done, just that it requires more attention to detail, especially with recipe balance, temperature control, yeast health, and limiting oxygen. It can be a goal to strive for if you are interested in the challenge.

OTOH I've personally tried brewing lighter beers with the intent to please light beer drinkers, and it's usually been less than satisfying. Sometimes people won't appreciate it not matter what. Some people are averse to homebrew because they already have the idea in their head that someone at home can't make beer as good as the big companies can in the factories. If you like lighter beers, then by all means give it a try, but if not, it can be an annoyance to have all of that beer made and nobody but you to drink it. That's why I rarely brew anything I wouldn't drink myself anymore (Or I brew a very small batch, like 2 gallons, and then I don't feel bad if I end up dumping it out...

Latest posts

Back