Hello All !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mortonbrew

Reaction score
Hi chaps and chapesses!

Loving the site and the forum! I'm new to home brewing, just bought my kit yesterday from a very helpful chap at Fireside Brews in Shipley, UK

I'm avidly reading the forums for tips and I will keep you updated on the success of my first brew!

Ben.:mug:

Greetings. I'm from Texas, but my favorite styles tend to be British (ESB, brown ale, etc.)

If you spend a bit of time reading some of the stickies in the "beginners" area and run searches if you have questions, you'll be making tasty brew from the start.

Enjoy!

Reading all the forums, harvesting all the info! - :drunk:

It can be overwhelming, can it not?

To make it less daunting at first, focus on the basics and don't worry too much about the other stuff for now:

1) Sanitization - Get some Star-San. Use it liberally. It is no-rinse. Keep some in a spray bottle that has never had any cleanser in it. Anything that touches the wort/beer or yeast after the boil is done needs to be sanitized.

2) Temperature. Yeast are temp-sensitive little buggers. When doing ales, get the wort cooled from boiling to around 17-18*C (63-65*F) as quickly as possible. The yeast needs to be within 5*C of the wort when you pitch. Try to ferment at the lower end of the optimal temp for the yeast you are using.

3) Yeast - start off with dry yeast. It's easier to use and to get enough cells for a 5-gallon (20L) batch. No need for making a "yeast starter". Take a good look at instructions for rehydrating dry yeast and do that. Lots more cells survive the pitch that way. I'm drinking a batch of ESB (on tap) right now that was fermented with rehydrated S-04 and it's beyond delicious.

4) Patience - Once you put that wort in the bucket/carboy, the long wait begins. As a rule of thumb, 3 weeks in the primary, 3-4 weeks bottle conditioning and another few days in the fridge. Until you get a good pipeline going, the waiting is the worst part.

It is inevitable that you will make mistakes. Don't sweat it. Learn from them and move on.

Above all---have fun with this cool, addictive hobby.:mug:

Back