Heingunitas? Laneken?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This isn't a full buy-out, so I don't see the problem. This is the route they are taking to get wide distribution, which does not come easy once you max out regionally.

So Lagunitas will be available internationally. I love nearly all their beers. I hate Heineken, but I can't see any change in Lagunitas' recipes coming.

It doesn't make me sad. I think it'll go a lot differently than say Goose Island and AB.
No one is falling. I almost think this is a smart move.

Agreed, smart business move to continue to grow a brand...can't hate on them for that

This really saddens me, Lagunitas is my favorite craft brewer for quality and price, but seeing this makes me think all that is going to change now. A moment of silence for Laguintas

This really saddens me, Lagunitas is my favorite craft brewer for quality and price, but seeing this makes me think all that is going to change now. A moment of silence for Laguintas

I don't know what makes you think that. The Lagunitas people are all staying put. I don't think the price is going to change any because of this. The only thing that's changing is that people overseas are going to be able to get Lagunitas products.

You know, it's true that this is just a partnership, and not much here in Petaluma will probably change, and this is undoubtedly a brilliant business decision, it's still a bummer that such a, historically, fiercely independent brewery now no longer has total control of its product. This really goes against the ethos of "Lagunitas."
Having said that, I know a lot of people who work at the brewery, and I'm positive that they will still be cranking out amazing beer no matter what corporate says, so at least there's that. On an even more optimistic note, maybe this will allow the OG brewery here in Petaluma to focus more on their smaller one-off offerings for local distribution!

Magee described the agreement with Heineken, a company established in 1864, as a 50-50 partnership. Heineken will have three seats on the Lagunitas board and the Petaluma brewery will retain three seats.

Uhm...you don't run a company without a tie breaker. 50/50 is just asking for problems and Heineken will have a lot of leverage once Lagunitas is in the channel and ramped up to fill that channel. It reminds me of something kinda like the Wal-Mart model

I don't know what makes you think that. The Lagunitas people are all staying put. I don't think the price is going to change any because of this. The only thing that's changing is that people overseas are going to be able to get Lagunitas products.

Uhm...so Heineken just gave away all that estimated $1billion? You don't expect them to want to make money on that investment?

Uhm...so Heineken just gave away all that estimated $1billion? You don't expect them to want to make money on that investment?

They'll make money by increasing the distribution footprint and selling more beer. I bet the price doesn't budge. It may well go down in some markets thanks to increased supply.

After looking at the Heineken brands list prior to the purchase, I expect they do want to make money. And that they finally have a stake in something people will actually drink.

After looking at the Heineken brands list prior to the purchase, I expect they do want to make money. And that they finally have a stake in something people will actually drink.

I expect them to run it like a business and want Lagunitas to start using their sources for ingredients. That way no change in price but big change in costs. This all leads to lower quality ingredients and 'just a minor substitution here' and 'just a minor substitution there' kind of approaches.

Like all breweries do already?

Not if you want your customers to like your beer year over year. I've had this discussion with two breweries...one has done so many 'recipe changes because everyone does them' that I no longer like their beer. The other is rhienhisgabot(?) and doesn't do any substitutions, their beer is good all the time.

There is a HUGE difference between adjusting the amount of a hop to hit AA or IBU....and the idea that just switching between Rahr for Great Western or Breiss is still the same.

It's not.

Sad deal. I'm sure the beer will still be good, but I hate to see these companies bought out. Especially by foreign companies (inbev, SAB, etc)

Luckily it's not a total buyout, but it will be very interesting to see how a board of 3 from each side works when push comes to shove...

They'll make money by selling Lagunitas beers in foreign markets. I really don't think that Lagunitas would go into this if it meant that they had to change their beers in any way. Lagunitas is making money hand over fist and they didn't need a partner to grow moderately. This move is just a way for them to grab greater market share.

I just think its funny that a craft brewer who was so adamant about not selling any of their company has now sold half of it.
Not sure how a 50/50 split of the company works.

They'll make money by selling Lagunitas beers in foreign markets. I really don't think that Lagunitas would go into this if it meant that they had to change their beers in any way. Lagunitas is making money hand over fist and they didn't need a partner to grow moderately. This move is just a way for them to grab greater market share.

Funniest part about it... most all of their beers taste the same.

Who? Lagunitas? If so, I whole heartedly disagree with you on that.

Yeah.

Equinox, Lil Sumpin, Hop Stoopid, Sucks, Brown shugga to an extent, all have the same hop profile and almost cloying sweetness (less so on the Hop Stoopid).

Hmmm well, it's hard to argue taste, but I definitely can detect a difference in each of those. Not so much between Sucks and Brown Shugga, but one is a substitute recipe or something.

Yeah, Sucks is Brown Shugga with different malt or something like that.

The only thing that connects all of their beers to me is the dank.

Hmmm well, it's hard to argue taste, but I definitely can detect a difference in each of those. Not so much between Sucks and Brown Shugga, but one is a substitute recipe or something.

Yes, I can detect a difference in each of those. Unfortunately, it's minuscule and seems dumb to me that you'd have so many beers that taste basically the same.

Lagunitas sucks is pretty different from Brown Shugga

They original batch of it was made as an apology to their fans. Lagunitas had recently moved production and realized they could not make something like a winter warmer in time for the holiday season. They decided on an IPA since it has quick turnaround. It was surprisingly popular and theyve made ti every year since

that being said, not a huge fan of their stuff. I grab about anything else I see on the shelf

I heart Sucks. I'd drink it daily. I've only had one Brown Shugga and I'm s heathen with a ****ty palate anyway.

Lagunitas sucks is pretty different from Brown Shugga

They original batch of it was made as an apology to their fans. Lagunitas had recently moved production and realized they could not make something like a winter warmer in time for the holiday season. They decided on an IPA since it has quick turnaround. It was surprisingly popular and theyve made ti every year since

that being said, not a huge fan of their stuff. I grab about anything else I see on the shelf

Maybe the original shugga was different?

I had one about a month ago, and it was very similar, same flavor as the rest, just more cloying.

Lagunitas IPA is my favorite next to SNB Pale. Their Gnarly Wine is the best beer I've ever had. I hope this doesn't affect quality but it's hard to see how current suppliers would be able to absorb what will probably be a doubling of production at very least. We'll see I guess. It'll be nice to have the IPA available in hotels, jets and cruises though.

Back