hefeweizen infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rstewy2

Reaction score
So I started a batch of hefe on dec 10th or 11th and I, being the brilliant person I am, started with 5.5 gallons of water. I ended up spilling some while transferring to the fermenter, leaving me a little headroom.

Thinking I could outsmart the yeast, I put a blowoff tube, which clogged and nearly blew off my lid. I ended up with a yeast/hop slurry sneeze when i pulled out the tube to prevent a complete disaster.

Now I'm very concerned as it's still fermenting. Shouldn't it have finished by now, especially considering how vigorously it was initially? I'm wondering if it's worth tasting when I take another hydrometer reading. I've been trying to leave it alone to prevent further risk if contamination. Any help would be great.

How did you determine that the beer is still fermenting?

Have you taken hydrometer readings since fermentation started?

What temperature is the fermenter being stored at?

i'd take a gravity reading to se where you're at in fermentation. you doubtfully have an infection, as those are quite rare. either some pics of the krausen and/or OG and FG readings would help us help you.

I was planning on waiting until airlock activity stopped to take a reading because I didn't want the crud falling in. The airlock actually stopped and I invited friends over to bottle. There had been no activity for a couple days, and when they arrived it was bubbling away. a sample that night was sweet and I can't find the paper that my gravity readings were on. I'll take a sample and some pictures tonight.

Edit:temp has been fluctuating a lot. I had it in my garage wrapped in a couple thick towels, but it's been cooler in san diego this winter.

Cool temps might slow it down.

Airlock bubbles can be an indicator of fermentation, but the hydrometer will be the test. Even if you cannot find your initial readings, look for steady readings to tell you that fermentation is done.

Airlock bubbles might be an indicator of temperature fluctuations not fermentation. Is that the only indication you have of possible fermentation? Is there krausen? Pellicle?

if you moved it from a cool garage to warm indoors I would expect that you would get a few bubbles through the air lock for two reasons, temperature expansion of the air in the carboy will give a couple, and the yeast may work a bit more now that the temp is up.

Thank you so much, guys. I'll be getting back from a trip tomorrow and will check on it again. Hopefully a few days was enough for it to finish up. I'll post pics if there's still any krausen.

I'm sitting at 1.018 and still sweet. I threw in a small cup of the yeast from a stout that I bottled last night. I know that it probably wasn't the best idea I've ever had but I'm hoping that it finishes out soon. It still smells amazing. I've come to the conclusion that nearly all of my yeast was blown out of the top during the initial phases and that the limited yeast was likely the cause. I'm going to take another sample tomorrow and see if it's going anywhere again. krausen was present but only slightly.

I'll make sure to update on how it comes out. It's probably too late, but any other suggestions on what to do next time would be great. I know I probably should have waited and gone to purchase another hefe yeast.

It came out great. Thanks for reassuring me. Just finished a bottle. Based on my current relaxedness, the extra yeast took it a bit further than I had expected. It finishes with a hint of chocolate. Not what I was hoping for. But it is very, very drinkable. I might just go grab another.

Latest posts

Back