Hefeweizen Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In a couple of weeks, I friend who is a big wheat beer drinker is brewing with me, so I am going to brew a hefeweizen (this will be my first wheat beer). Because I am not a huge wheat beer drinker, I was hoping to mellow the flavors from wheat yeast some. I was considering using equal parts US-05 and US-06, thinking that the US-05 would ferment some of the sugars clean while the US-06 would ferment some of the sugars with the wheat flavors. Will this work? Any drawbacks?

I can't speak for the flavors those two yeasts produce (I haven't used them). I can tell you that if you want to avoid the typical hefeweizen flavors (banana and clove) then use a yeast that does not produce those flavors. Perhaps an American Ale yeast or something else along those lines.

I can't speak for the flavors those two yeasts produce (I haven't used them). I can tell you that if you want to avoid the typical hefeweizen flavors (banana and clove) then use a yeast that does not produce those flavors. Perhaps an American Ale yeast or something else along those lines.

Thanks. The US-05 is the American Ale yeast (and is the staple of my home brewery). My thinking was to use half American Ale and half wheat beer yeast to get some hefeweizen flavors but not as pronounced as if I used 100% wheat beer yeast.

Put the 05 in first. After 2 or 3 days, add the 06. You'll get mild wheat beer flavors that way, won't be overpowering.

I've never done it, but I've heard when you blend yeasts, the "stronger" one usually shows in the finished product. Are you limited to just dry? I've made an American style wheat beer using WLP029 an it was great, super clean. There's also WLP320 (Widmer Hef yeast), which is clean as well. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back