Hefeweizen - Additional Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tagz

Reaction score
What additional grains have you put in a hefeweizen besides the traditional wheat and pils? I've read a few random posts about people adding small amounts of vienna or aromatic. I'd love to hear what people have experimented with and the results (good or bad).

10% Carahell - adds bit of sweetness and in case of beers fermented by Weihenstephan yeast also adds some body.

Hey gang,

Here is my Hef recipe. Last 2 batches I moved to DME and 2... 1/2 boils. This really lightened up the beer in both color and caramel flavor. This Hef is fantastic

7.0 lbs. Wheat Malt Extract
8.0 oz. Wheat malt, milled for steeping
8.0 oz. Vienna malt milled for steeping
1.0 oz. Hallertau hop pellets for bittering (AA=3-4%)
Hefeweizen Yeast (White Labs #WLP300)

Toy4Rick

Do you think the steeped grains are a good addition? I want to do a wheat beer this weekend using LME, though my recipe didn't call for any grains. I could see that a lighter version would be great for summer but I was thinking I might like a bit more body in this autumn batch.

What additional grains have you put in a hefeweizen besides the traditional wheat and pils? I've read a few random posts about people adding small amounts of vienna or aromatic. I'd love to hear what people have experimented with and the results (good or bad).

In addition to what you mentioned I added Carahell and Crystal 20L. AWESOME turnout. Will be brewing it again once these bottles are all gone! ... Ed

Hey gang,

Here is my Hef recipe. Last 2 batches I moved to DME and 2... 1/2 boils. This really lightened up the beer in both color and caramel flavor. This Hef is fantastic

7.0 lbs. Wheat Malt Extract
8.0 oz. Wheat malt, milled for steeping
8.0 oz. Vienna malt milled for steeping
1.0 oz. Hallertau hop pellets for bittering (AA=3-4%)
Hefeweizen Yeast (White Labs #WLP300)

Toy4Rick

Unless you do a mini-mash, both the wheat + vienna will just add starch to the beer....

M_C

I have a Hefe in the fermenter now that I put a pound of flaked wheat in with my partial mash (elsewise, 2-row and pale wheat).
I'll let you know.

I generally try to keep the grain bill simple with my hefeweizen and let the yeast do the work, but I do add some melanoidin/aromatic to give it that maltiness that you get from decoction mashing.

My recipe is:
56% Wheat
40% Pils
4% Melanoidin
Mash @ 110 for 10 mins, step up to 152 for 60 mins
Boil 90 mins
9 IBUs Hersbrucker
WY3068 @ 65F

I'm planning on doing a Hef for the summer here in a few months.
I'm planning on:
5lb German pils
4lb German Wheat malt
1lb carawheat
And 1/3oz German magnum

Not sure this is a traditional hefeweizen but it's pretty good:

6lbs wheat
6lbs Munich
1oz Hallertau
Wyeast 3068

6lbs red wheat
5lbs 2 row
1lbs honey malt
1oz citra split between fwh and aroma
Wlp-300@68F
Did really nice for me
Will have to do one with some rye now. 'Cause I do like rye.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

I like to add de-pithed peel from two oranges in the whirlpool of my Hefe. I usually just use an apple peeler to get the bits I want and leave the less desirable parts.

... as with the others I am going to have to try a Hefe with Rye.

I just wanted to add that the best hefe's I have had have been fermented for less than 2 weeks, and have no finning after the boil, the yeast adds a lot of character.

just reporting back on my beer for posterities sake:
A good hefe, but I don't notice any appreciable difference using the flaked wheat along with the wheat malt.

Latest posts

Back