hefe temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bier-brauer

Reaction score
hi guys

brewing a franziskaner hefe clone today. what is the better fermentation temperature?
1. basement at 78 degrees....(i know too hot)
2. in my wine cooler at 60 degrees

can't do the swamp cooler, since i'm leaving town this for the rest of the week

Well, if the 60F is the ambient temp inside the wine cooler, then I would go for that option. The fermentation itself will be warmer, probably more like 65-68F while its active. What yeast are you using? I would be afraid of some off flavors if you went with the other option.

I fermented my Hefe in 76-78 degrees and it turned out great actually. In fact, there's more clove character than i was anticipating since i know that much heat brings out the banana more.

Honestly, set up a fan firing right at your fermenter in your basement, it will be fine. And when you get back, RDWHAHB.

I do make sure my house doesn't get over 80 though since i've got dogs and a cat hanging out in there while i'm gone. If that's your real concern then yes, use your wine cooler.

Back