Hefe diacetyl

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rferguson61

Reaction score
I made a hefe thsts been fermenting for just over three weeks. I just tried it and it was like taking a mouthful of vegatable oil. Ive heard that yeast cleans up diacetyl...if I racked to secondary answer let it age for a bit any chance it could go away?

Three weeks should be enough time for a hefe, I wouldn't rack on to a secondary unless I planned on adding fruit or dry hopping... however, a few more details might be useful to help diagnose the issue (ie - recipe, fermentation temp/vessel, etc...)

csiewert said:
Three weeks should be enough time for a hefe, I wouldn't rack on to a secondary unless I planned on adding fruit or dry hopping... however, a few more details might be useful to help diagnose the issue (ie - recipe, fermentation temp/vessel, etc...)

7 lbs Light LME
1/2 lb munich
1/4 lb 40L
1 lb flaked wheat
2 oz tettnanger
1/4 oz cascade
White Labs American Hefe

6 gal glass carboy at 68-74* f

How big of a yeast starter did you do?

Don't rack! Racking only makes diacetyl worse, not better. Keep it on the yeast, and possibly warm the beer a bit.

I dont do a starter I just pitch the vial. Should I repitch so theres more active yeast?

You may have to, as it's active yeast that clean up diacetyl.

There are a couple of things to do first, though. One is to gently warm the fermenter a bit (maybe only a couple of degrees) and gently swirl to rouse the yeast.

Hefe yeast aren't usually big diacetyl producers, though. That's got me kind of wondering what happened. The yeast could have been stressed from underpitching, but the diacetyl should have been cleaned up by now.

Some infections cause diacetyl, too.

For now I'd just do the warming gently and wait and see.

There were some clusters of bubbles on top in the fermenter...

Also I burned the market when I dumped it in to the kettle

bigbeergeek said:
"burned the market?"

Malt. Sorry predictive texting on my android. When I added LME to the boil I forgot to stir it and it went straight to the bottom and scorched.

Yooper said:
Some infections cause diacetyl, too.

I think its infected...i looked at the infection post and it looks an awful lot like one of them. But ive been trying to fugue out what could have caused the infection. I'm really good about cleaning and sanitizing my equipment and when I checked SG treetop weeks ago I didn't set the musting cap/air lock down I had my girlfriend hold it. I cleaned and sanitized my thief. I tried the sample then too and it want so oily feeling...still had an off flavor though.

Back