Heady Topper- Can you clone it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use chinook in a single hop ple with tons of late hops and dryhop. Similar to what you are describing. Try a single hop batch and see if it's what you are looking for and then add other hops in to complete it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

More like a piña colada but it's very heavily hopped. Also the standard pine and earthy notes, but more background because of the hop bursting.

Sampling my first pint from batch #4 of this. On CO2 for about 3 days. Brewed it August 31..... So, about 4+ weeks old. Followed grainbill and everything else as normal, however, altered hop schedule for first time as I had not thought my original efforts matched up to the real thing (I was able to sample each side-by-side). This last batch was definitely closer. I will do a side-by-side in the next few days when carbonation is a touch better.
Basically - I ditched most of the apollo and added more Centennial, some Chinook, as well as some Galaxy. Skipped the hopshots too.... thought they were giving my beer a distinct "hopshot" flavor that I picked up in a couple others I used them in too. I did some "mash-hopping" to keep a bit of the hop material out of the boil. At any rate, this is what I did, and will likely tweak this when I get a chance to compare to the real thing. I really feel like I get a more distinct Centennial flavor in Heady than the original hop bill was giving me. In particular, when I would drink heady side by side with a Bells Two Hearted ..... which is all centennial, I thought there were some similar flavors coming through. Here is what I did in the last batch.
(6.5 gallon Batch, by the way)
1.00 ozs 30.44 Chinook mash hop 13.00
1.00 ozs 32.78 Columbus mash hop 14.00
1.00 ozs 23.41 Centennial First Wort 10.00
0.25 ozs 7.61 Chinook First Wort 13.00
0.25 ozs 8.19 Columbus First Wort 14.00
1.00 ozs 4.67 Centennial 5 mins 10.00
1.00 ozs 6.07 Simcoe 5 mins 13.00
1.00 ozs 0.00 Columbus 0 mins 14.00
1.00 ozs 0.00 Simcoe 0 mins 13.00
1.00 ozs 0.00 Galaxy whirlpool 0 mins 14.00
1.00 ozs 0.00 Centennial whirlpool 0 mins 10.00
1.00 ozs 0.00 Amarillo Gold whirlpool 0 mins 8.50
1.00 ozs 0.00 Simcoe whirlpool 0 mins 13.00
1.00 ozs Amarillo Gold 4 days 8.50
0.50 ozs Chinook 4 days 13.00
0.50 ozs Columbus 4 days 14.00
1.00 ozs Galaxy 4 days 14.00
1.00 ozs Simcoe 4 days 13.00
0.50 ozs Centennial 4 days 10.00
0.50 ozs Apollo 4 days 14.00

My HT clone recipe came in today from Farmhouse Brewing. I hope to brew this on Saturday. What I particularly like is that all the hop additions have been pre measured so the hops stay fresh until use. Super fresh yeast (9/24/14). ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412282280.121540.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1412282297.858542.jpg

Well Hell guys count me in on the brew and swap guys I got my kit today will probably brew next week!

Had my first Heady last night and I got some hints of pineapple from it. This pineapple flavor was very present in another beer I've had recently, Wolf Among Weeds from Golden Road. I want to make something, not Heady specifically, that showcases this flavor.

What hop/hop combo is causing this?

Heady (from this thread): Simcoe, Apollo, Columbus, Amarillo, Centennial,
Wolf Among Weeds (from Golden Road website): Columbus, Chinook, Simcoe, Cascade

Simcoe and Columbus seem to be in both. However, I've made an IPA that was strictly Simcoe and Columbus and didn't get that flavor (turned out good but really dank/piney - not pineapple). Some searching on here indicates it could possibly be from Chinook, either dry hop or real late addition, but that was only a response or two from people while most say it's more herbal/earthy/piney. I've never used Chinook.

Thoughts?

Have you fermented a brew using Conan yet? It really brings some unique notes that cannot be overstated.

My kit arrived today........wort for yeast starter is on a bed of ice coolin down. What is the IBU Injector used for? It just says on the instructions......@90 mins. Is that the "hopshot"?

interesting recipe, gonna need some clarifications.
Boil Additions
90 min Corn Sugar
90 min IBU Injector
5 min Hop Pack
0 min Hop Pack
30 min Aroma Steep Hop Pack

Then the instructions read:
After 90 mins add the corn sugar, so does the sugar get added at the beginning or end of the boil? I'm assuming it's at the beginning. But after reading the recipe here,,the corn sugar gets added at flameout. The IBU Injector too?

Hop shot for 90 mins. Corn sugar last few mins or at flameout. Just want it to hit the heat to sanitize it. Some add it with 10 or 15 mins left; some at flameout. No wrong answer per se. certainly don't need to boil it for 90 though

Anyone else taste a hop shot? If so, have you had Odell Myrcenary? They taste the same to me.

Anyone else taste a hop shot? If so, have you had Odell Myrcenary? They taste the same to me.
You actually got some other flavor than just straight up ridiculous bitterness?!?! I accidentally tasted a bit and my mouth for bitter for like 30 minutes. It was terrible. But it makes tasty beer when it's diluted and my house smelled amazing as I heating the bulk extract I bought to liquify it.

They need to proofread their instructions.
In the boil additions column on the left they are saying to boil the corn sugar for 90 minutes, and in the instruction comments on the right they say to add the corn sugar at flameout.
They also tell you to pitch US-05 in the instructions, rather than the liquid Vermont IPA yeast listed on the left.

How'd your brew day go?

One of the magnets came off my stir plate, so I had to stir the starter manually. Lesson learned, have two stir bars.

I mashed for 90 mins instead of 60, I read those stupid instructions the wrong way.

OG was spot on.

Active fermentation less then 12 hrs.

Now I play the waiting game.

How about yours?

Somehow I got 82% efficacy doing BIAB. Usually it's around 70%. Ended up with 5gal at 1.078. Fed it oxygen for 90 seconds this morning. Dumped in the yeast. No bistable sign of fermentation yet. Fingers crossed.

Mine came out at 8.4%. Still have 2 more hop additions. Haven't decided if i'll keg or bottle, probably bottle. Beersmith calc was around 164 but i made a great tasting TIPA (based on Pliny) with higher IBUs and very drinkable. Never had a Heady, nor have I sampled. It will be a surprise around November 1st. Ill post the recipe details tomorrow. I did use safale-05.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recipe (60% eff...BLAH!!):
Pale Malt: 15lbs
Dextrine: 12oz
40L: 12oz
White Wheat: 8oz
Yeast: 2-pkgs of Safale-05.

Lautering:
RO Water - Strike 5.5gal @ 152F for 75min (add 2g-Gypsum, 5g-CalciumCloride, 4g-Epsom salt, 1tsp-Lactic Acid)
Batch Sparge 4.0gal @ 168F for 20min (add 1tsp - Lactic Acid only)
Strike came out at 1.088.
Sparge came out at 1.035.
Pre-boil came out at 1.060 @ ~7.5gal.
Post-boil came out at 1.078 @ 5.5gal (5.1gal transferred to primary due to loss).
ABV came out at 8.4% (~1.014ish).
During primary fermentation, kept bucket in water bath adding a tray of ice 2x/day. Temp readings were from 63F-68F.

Boil Ingedients (90min boil):
Columbus - 1.0oz @ 60min
Columbus - 1.5oz @ 45min

Corn Sugar-14oz @ 10min
Irish Moss/Yeast Nutrient @ 10min

Simcoe - 1.0oz @ 5min
Apollo - .5oz @ 5min

Simcoe - 2.0oz @ Flame Out
Columbus - 1.0oz @ Flame Out

Steeped Hops (30min @175F):
Actually added around 190F. Takes a while to get my boil kettle down to 175F.
Amerillo - 1.0oz
Columbus - 1.0oz
Simcoe - 1.0oz
Apollo - .5oz
Centennial - .5oz

Dry Hopping Schedule
*Note: Original recipe called for 25days, but I have no experience with such a long dry hop time. Reading up on the subject, I noticed some claim to have 'grassy' characteristics in the final product with longer periods. Due to this, I've adjusted to an 18day schedule.*

18days:
Simcoe - 1.0oz
Amarillo - .5oz
Centennial - .5oz
Columbus - .5oz
Apollo - .5oz

7day and 3day (same ingredients/amount):
Simcoe - .5oz
Amarillo - .25oz
Centennial - .25oz
Columbus - .25oz
Apollo - .25oz
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, CO2 layer every time fermenter was opened to limit oxygen.

Know more in about 3 weeks.

Last edited:
I plan on brewing this next weekend can't wait. Just curious, how long are you guys spinning your 0 minute hops before you drop your kettle temps down to 180f for the aroma steep? Thinking 15-20min, then the additional 30min aroma steep?

Gonna use Tasty's water profile as a starting point and see how that goes.

25 days is not right. In a interview John Kimmich says he dry hops for no less than 4, and no more than 5 days. They double dry hop it, but not for nearly that long.

Back