Headspace

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostHopper

Reaction score
I'm brewing a 2.5 gallon test batch
My only available fermenter is a 6 gallon bucket. Is 3.5 gallons of headspace a problem? I'm thinking it's not a problem.

I could probably borrow a 3 gallon carboy and deal with the blowoff but I'm going to be gone during some of the early fermentation time.

Update: Ignore. HBT "search" did its job.

Last edited:
It will be a problem if you let it sit there after fermentation is finished (say more than 2 weeks).

The excess headspace can reduce the blanket of co2 that helps keep bacteria and mold out, and allowing them to take hold inside the fermenter.

I would keg/bottle within 2 weeks, if you chose to use that fermenter.

Oxidation is much more of a concern that bacteria or mold. If you are sanitary and don't leave the bucket open too long it should be ok. I would watch for fermentation signs to end wait a couple of days then bottle it.

The "blanket of co2" will start mixing with oxygen as soon as more co2 is no longer being created.

Pretty sure the whole "blanket of co2" which was the reason you couldn't move a fermenter as you would "disturb" the blanket was proven completely false...I stuck a match in a fermenter right near the beer level once and it laughed at me.

No worries.
I cut the batch to 2 1/4 gallons and used a 3 gallon glass carboy. That extra quart of head space may not be needed but I felt better about it.

Back