headspace in fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLExpat

Reaction score
How much is too much? Did a batch of hefeweizen over the weekend, just shy of a full three gallons, had a little more space at the top than I thought I would

ForumRunner_20120503_101358.jpg

I disagree. That is way too much. That beer will suck. Bottle and send it to me for disposal.

i have a 2.5g barleywine in a 6.5g ale pail
that was sort of intentional, though, because i didn't feel like setting up a blowoff
i've done several 3g batches in 6.5g ale pails and they've come out great
primary is fine because of the CO2 generated, but you would want to minimized headspace if you rack into secondary

primary is fine because of the CO2 generated, but you would want to minimized headspace if you rack into secondary

I would add to the above that headspace, or rather the lack thereof, only becomes a potential problem when you rack to another vessel without adding addional fermentables to start a new round of CO2 production.

LLBeanJ said:
I would add to the above that headspace, or rather the lack thereof, only becomes a potential problem when you rack to another vessel without adding addional fermentables to start a new round of CO2 production.

I an not trying to hijack this thread but have a parallel question. I'm not adding fermentables to a secondary but fruit rinds. My brew partner dropped the 5 gal. Carboy this weekend and all I have is a 6.5 gal. I have a CO2. Bottle for the keg-o-rator so the question is: can I purge the 6.5 with a few liters of CO2 and transfer and move on with no worries?

I an not trying to hijack this thread but have a parallel question. I'm not adding fermentables to a secondary but fruit rinds. My brew partner dropped the 5 gal. Carboy this weekend and all I have is a 6.5 gal. I have a CO2. Bottle for the keg-o-rator so the question is: can I purge the 6.5 with a few liters of CO2 and transfer and move on with no worries?

Why not just add them to the primary and be done with it?

Back